We have 70 guests online
20 Nov 2007 SLC3R Rugby Town 2-0 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Southern League Cup Third Round - Premier Division – Tuesday, 20th November 2007

Rugby Town 2 Halesowen Town 0

Rugby danger-man David Kolodynski hit two second-half goals within three minutes to end Halesowen’s involvement in the Errea Cup.  Despite striking the woodwork twice, the Yeltz still cannot find a win on the road as Rugby gained revenge for their 4-1 league defeat at The Grove just three days earlier.

Halesowen rotated their squad and Scott Lycett played at centre-half but his short 6th minute back-pass almost let in Kolodynski. Stefan Morley then hit a 15th minute free-kick over the bar. Paul Devlin was put through for the Yeltz in the 18th minute but home goalkeeper Martyn Margarson was able to save and in the 28th minute Davion Hamilton saw his low shot pushed away for a corner. Three minutes before the end of a quiet and even first half Stuart Pierpoint’s free-kick was headed back across goal by Nick Amos and in the 45th minute Shane Paul’s cross forced a corner.

A more open second half saw Kolodynski go close with a clever back-heeled flick on 51 minutes and a 55th minute misunderstanding saw Lycett let Kolodynski in - but James Dormand raced out to save. With Halesowen playing neat football, Paul’s cross was turned behind goal and from the following corner Nick Amos was unlucky to see his header bounce down and then off the crossbar in the 58th minute. A lovely one-two then saw Hamilton’s goal-bound shot tipped away for a corner on 64 minutes by Margarson.

But Rugby finished strongly and secured their passage into the next round with two quick-fire goals. A 71st minute shot from Delroy Gordon was well saved by Dormand but KOLODYNSKI followed up to convert the rebound. Just three minutes later in-form KOLODYNSKI was on hand again to convert another rebound after Alex Bolt fired a shot from the edge of the area.

With Halesowen out of luck, Zema Abbey set up Paul in the 78th minute but his shot rebounded agonisingly off the inside of the post into safety. A minute later Paul shot just wide on the turn. Late on, Dormand made a good save from David Stone when Kolodynski was free to cross from the right before Dormand saved another effort at Kolodynski’s feet. With three minutes remaining a terrific 30-yard drive from Morley rattled off the underside of Halesowen’s crossbar with Dormand well beaten.

Rugby Town: Margarson; Stringfellow, Morley, Thorogood, Herbert, Bolt, Gordon (Harris 90), Kolodynski, Aladetoun (Edge 70), Stone, Musgrove.  Unused Sub: Russell.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Wiggins-Thomas, Hamilton, Pierpoint, Lycett, Lopez, Paul, Amos (Denny 63), Abbey, Devlin (Waite 76), Quistan (Francis 80). Unused Subs: Brennan, Perpetuini.

Referee: G. Law (Leicester)

Attendance: 137

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack