We have 76 guests online
29 Mar 2008 SLP Corby Town 1-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 29th March 2008

Corby Town 1 Halesowen Town 2

Halesowen remained at the top of the table after fighting back from behind with another two goals from leading striker Dean Brennan. The sixth successive victory has almost certainly secured at least a top-3 finish and a home-tie in the play-off semi-finals.

The game represented a stern test for the Yeltz with the blustery conditions, Corby’s run of good home form and their battle just above the relegation line together with the crowd’s sheep-like dislike of anything related to Kettering (or elsewhere) adding to the pre-match worry of a banana-skin slip-up.

In an action-packed first half, Halesowen were quickly on the attack with Darren Caskey’s 1st minute free-kick leading to a corner and a resulting goalmouth scramble. Goalkeeper Martin Davies then collected Stuart Pierpoint’s header from another 4th minute corner. Dean Brennan went close after eight minutes and Ikechi Anya won Halesowen’s fourth corner of the afternoon after just 15 minutes.

Corby livewire leading scorer Steve Diggin crossed for Robbie Maddox on the break, but he headed straight at goalkeeper Mark Osborn. Martin Wormall’s 19th minute cross then caught the wind and dropped just over Osborn’s bar. Daniel French’s 21st corner was then collected by Osborn but Phil Watt followed up and caused a leg-injury to Osborn requiring physio. treatment.

The Steelmen took a 25th minute lead when Dennis Pearce cleared for a corner and the ball was played back for Rob Hughes to cross for full-back WATT to side-foot home on the volley after Osborn hesitated to collect the ball - almost certainly due to his previous injury. 

As Halesowen poured forward for an equaliser, Nick Amos headed on 30th minute throw-in but Brennan headed just over the bar and a minute later Anya crossed for Brennan to put the ball just too high again. After the fifth corner in the 33rd minute, Anya cut in from the left to shoot but the home defence managed to hack clear. For the hosts, Watt headed French’s 36th minute free-kick just wide of the post and Martin Wormall struck at Osborn three minutes later. But with the Yeltz keeping up the pressure, Anya fed Eldon Maquemba in the 38th minute with Davies making the save.

Halesowen levelled in the 39th minute when another long Cowley throw-in was headed on yet again by Amos for leading scorer BRENNAN to touch home. Cowley then embarked on a long 41st minute run to set up Brennan to hit just wide and in an excellent move Anya, Brennan and Andy Hall combined a minute later with Davies saving off his own player before Maquemba shot again at Davies. Seconds before the interval Anya’s left-wing cross found Brennan but was just kept out again.

Maddox curled wide in the 46th minute and Diggin took advantage of a 58th minute slip by Amos to drive wide and low before the Yeltz took control of the second period. Maquemba drove forward but just wide on the hour before Brennan missed a good chance by poking the ball just wide from Pearce’s 64th minute cross after home captain Chris Glarvey missed the ball. Corby’s Hughes ballooned over the bar in the 66th minute before going mightily close on 69 minutes when Diggin’s left-wing cross was touched onto the outside of the post by Maddox and as the ball broke, Osborn saved again from Hughes. Cowley was then just wide after a good 72nd minute run.

Halesowen grabbed the winning goal to secure three important points in the 75th minute when Caskey’s corner was headed and helped on by Amos and both Maquemba and Pearce went close in a goalmouth melee before BRENNAN provided the vital touch into the roof of the net. Corby complained with some justification that the ball was earlier illegally behind the line.

Relegation threatened Corby dug an even deeper hole when Diggin soiled his earlier good spadework by being sent-off for a second yellow card following a clumsy 79th minute challenge on Pearce. Ten-man Corby were left chasing shadows as Halesowen played possession football to run down the clock although Wormall could have done better than drive wide from the right in the final minute.

Corby Town: Davies; Nicell (Gould 80), Watt, Glarvey, Wall (Jones 45), Maddox, Diggin, Hughes, Mettam (Battersby 65), Wormall, French. Unused Subs: Nimmo, Julian.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Cowley, Pearce, Pierpoint, Amos, Denny, Hall, Caskey, Brennan, Maquemba (Abbey 90), Anya. Unused Subs: Perpetuini, Hamilton, Piotrowski, Maynard.

Referee: M. Bingham (Leamington Spa)

Attendance: 375

Booked: Diggin (44), Brennan (90)

Sent Off: Diggin (79)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack