We have 46 guests online
17 Nov 2007 SLP Halesowen Town 4-1 Rugby Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 17th November 2007

Halesowen Town 4 Rugby Town 1

Halesowen made it seven league games unbeaten by thumping second half four goals past ten-man Rugby to continue their climb up the table in front of the largest attendance of the season.

Scott Lycett and Ruben Wiggins Thomas were handed their debuts making a total of seven new faces in the starting line-up within the month under new manager Morell Maison. Craig Herbert and Paul Devlin received straight red cards from referee Mr Sinclair, even though both had already received a yellow card earlier in the game.

The first half was a forgettable affair and gave little hint of the drama to unfold with five goals, two players sent-off and a missed penalty all within the final half hour.

Yeltz goalkeeper Mark Osborn easily gathered David Staff’s 20-yard free-kick in the 8th minute and then collected the ball at David Stone’s feet as Tom Breward flicked a header towards goal from Stefan Morley’s 16th minute corner kick. Darren Caskey curled a 34th minute free-kick just wide of the Rugby goal before Osborn tipped a rasping 30-yard effort from Alex Bolt over the bar two minutes later in the best chance of the first half. Dean Brennan flashed a 37th minute shot wide and a minute before the interval Paul Devlin found Eldon Maquemba on the wing and he crossed for Brennan to head at visiting goalkeeper Martyn Margarson.

The second half started in the same manner with debut full-back Scott Lycett heading a Caskey free-kick onto the roof of the net in the 53rd minute. But the game finally erupted into life in the 62nd minute when Rugby central defender Craig Herbert received his marching orders with a straight red card for hauling down Maquemba in front of goal. But goalkeeper Margarson made a fine save to his right to keep out the resulting penalty from Paul Devlin to keep the scores level.

Halesowen only had to wait until the 65th minute to break the deadlock when the Rugby defence failed to clear Caskey’s 65th minute corner and after a goalmouth scramble BRENNAN was on hand to poke home the opening goal. MAQUEMBA made it 2-0 just three minutes later by flashing home a header directly from another Caskey corner.

Ten-man Rugby were given hope by pulling a goal back in the 71st minute when STONE was allowed to skip through the heart of the home defence to thump the ball past Osborn. A minute later Maquemba was just wide with a shot on the turn.
Halesowen turned the screw on Rugby with two further late goals. Maquemba robbed the home defence down the left wing and delivered a fine cross for substitute Zema ABBEY to notch the best goal of the game and his first for Halesowen with a neat side-footed finish on 86 minutes. With the Rugby defence stretched again, DEVLIN calmly converted the fourth goal in the last minute after a shot from Abbey was blocked following good work from substitute Shane Paul and Maquemba. But Devlin blotted his copy book by also receiving a straight red card in injury time for a retaliatory blow to substitute Edge.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Lycett, Perpetuini, Pearce, Pierpoint, Denny, Wiggins-Thomas (Paul 57), Caskey, Brennan (Abbey 82), Maquemba, Devlin. Unused Subs: Lopez, Hamilton, Dormand.

Rugby Town: Margarson; Stringfellow, Morley, Thorogood, Herbert, Breward, Musgrave, Bolt (Edge 76), Aladetoun (Kolodynski 82), Stone, Staff.  Unused Sub: Harris.

Referee: L. Sinclair (Newcastle-under-Lyme) 

Attendance: 534

Booked: Pierpoint (18), Thorogood (43), Herbert (47), Devlin (88), Musgrave (89)

Sent Off: Herbert (62), Devlin (90)

Halesowen Town Man of the Match: Eldon Maquemba

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack