We have 74 guests online
05 Jan 2008 SLP Rugby Town 2-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 5th January 2008

Rugby Town 2 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen threw away their chance of going top of the table after squandering a promising early lead at mid-table Rugby.

Dean Brennan almost latched onto a long ball in the 2nd minute before the hosts forced two corners with Steve Evans driving wide in the 12th minute. Aaron Stringfellow then struck a long range effort at goalkeeper Mark Osborn in the 13th minute. A good move involving Zema Abbey and Brennan then saw Shane Paul blast over the bar in the 24th minute and Brennan struck a low drive just wide two minutes later. Rugby’s David Stone then put David Pearson through in the 27th minute but he stabbed the ball wide.

The Yeltz took a 28th minute lead when the referee played an advantage allowing Paul to break down the right to deliver a low cross for BRENNAN to turn the ball home. At this stage Halesowen looked well in control with Rodney Hicks blasting over the bar in the 32nd minute following a spell of good possession play.

But Rugby were let back into the game with a 39th minute equaliser when PEARSON beat the offside trap and found himself all alone to take the ball around goalkeeper Osborn before tapping into an empty net. Before the interval Dennis Pearce saw his long range effort deflected for a corner and Brennan lobbed just wide.

Battling Rugby went on to boss the second period in a half-hearted Halesowen performance with Osborn saving low down from David Staff in the 52nd minute. Pearson then hit a 61st minute half-volley wide before crossing for Scott Musgrove to flick on at the post requiring Osborn to save for a corner two minutes later. Osborn then escaped in the 66th minute after losing a right-wing cross from Stringfellow and Stuart Pierpoint made a vital 73rd minute clearance for a corner to deny the lively Rugby forwards. Halesowen finally featured when Hicks met Paul’s 76th minute cross but goalkeeper Dean Thomas turned his header away for a corner.

But Rugby, watched by new manager Rod Brown, grabbed an almost inevitable winning goal in the 77th minute when MUSGROVE fired home a rebound from close range after Stone found space again down the right before cutting in to shoot.

Halesowen rallied late on with Abbey’s 79th minute overhead kick landing on top of the bar and Stephan Morley slammed the ball over his own bar from Paul’s chip after a free-kick evaded the home defence. The visitors then forced two late corners with substitute Francino Francis heading wide but it was all too late to rescue any points.

Rugby Town: Thomas; Stringfellow, Morley, Herbert, Gordon, Musgrove, Evans, Breward (Francis 42), Stone, Pearson, Staff. Unused Subs: Kolodynski, Edge, Aladetoun, Bolt.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Lycett, Perpetuini, Pearce, Pierpoint, Denny, Paul, Caskey, Abbey, Brennan (Francis 86), Hicks (Hamilton 82). Unused Subs: Amos, Abbassi, Waite.

Referee: P. Leversuch (Nottingham)

Attendance: 280

Booked: Pierpoint (46), Caskey (79), Perpetuini (82)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack