We have 34 guests online
04 Sep 2007 SLP Halesowen Town 1-2 Corby Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Tuesday, 4th September 2007

Halesowen Town 1 Corby Town 2

Halesowen were guilty of conceding two more sloppy goals to throw away another promising lead and leave themselves lingering in the lower half of the table. Previously under-achievers Corby snatched the points in the final minute as the Yeltz shipped their twelfth goal of the campaign – an alarming average of two goals per game.

Liam McDonald’s 4th minute free-kick drifted across the Corby penalty area before home goalkeeper James Dormand snatched the ball low down off his defence under pressure from dangerous centre-forward Darren Lynch.

The Yeltz took an early 8th minute lead when Lee Williams threaded a delightful ball through the Corby defence for Shane PAUL to slot past goalkeeper Daniel Crane and notch his third goal of the season.

For the Steelmen, Adam Wykes drilled just wide after Lynch headed on in the 13th minute and Dormand did well to hold onto Lynch’s 20-yard shot a minute later. At the other end, a header from Nick Amos was inches wide of the mark from Davion Hamilton’s deep 18th minute free-kick and on 21 minutes Nick Wright pushed forward but drove well wide.

The Yeltz were caught off-guard to relinquish their lead as the Steelmen levelled in the 24th minute with Adam WYKES planting a quickly taken free-kick into the bottom corner with Dormand still organising his defensive wall. Before the interval, Paul laid off the ball for Jay Denny to fire just wide from 20-yards in the 37th minute.

After the break, Dormand’s 52nd minute long clearance was headed on by Amos and almost found Paul but Crane raced out to be first to the ball. As the Yeltz sought to regain the lead, Paul rose to power a 54th minute header over the bar from McDonald’s free-kick and five minutes later Paul’s shot was deflected for a corner. In another trade-mark move, Amos headed on once again in the 62nd minute but Paul was just blocked. Steve Diggin screwed wide for Corby after 73 minutes and home substitute Aaron Farrell broke clear seconds later but Crane made a good save with the rebound cleared.

But with the game heading for a draw, Corby snatched the points in stoppage time when Dormand was at fault for spilling a free-kick to allow substitute Robbie MADDOX to hook home a 15-yard shot from the ensuing goalmouth scramble.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Platt, Hamilton, Pearce, Pierpoint, Amos, Denny, Wright (Farrell 66), Paul, Williams, McDonald (Francis 84). Unused Subs: Haywood, Forsyth, Jay.

Corby Town: Crane; Nicell, Bonner, Scott, Daly, Hallows, Diuk (Maddox 83), Towers, Lynch, Diggin, Wykes.  Unused Subs: Difante, Curtis, Miller, Wilkinson.

Referee: J. Cox (Evesham)

Attendance: 347

Booked: Scott (73)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack