We have 59 guests online
15 Dec 2007 FRD Halesowen Town 1-5 Sutton Coldfield Town PDF Print E-mail

Mid-season Friendly – Saturday, 15th December 2007

Halesowen Town 1 Sutton Coldfield Town 5

Lack-lustre Halesowen were embarrassed after lower league and in-form Sutton Coldfield romped home in a mid-season friendly by thumping five goals.  Former Yeltz players Liam McDonald and defender Ed Booth made swift returns to the Grove in Sutton’s starting line-up together with former Halesowen front-runner Jimmy Quiggin.

Davion Hamilton hit just over the bar in the 6th minute after being set up by Zema Abbey before the Royals clicked into their stride. Mark Osborn saved bravely at the feet of Justin Rowe in the 12th minute but only injured himself in the process. The visitors took the lead on 17 minutes when Craig OWEN thumped home a loose ball from 15 yards. McDonald then cleared a Francino Francis header off the line from a rare Halesowen corner in the 20th minute. Sutton had the ball in the net again after 23 minutes but Osborn was impeded before Osborn collected a 24th minute cross from Quiggin. Osborn then turned a 34th minute shot from McDonald around his post and a minute later Owen put the ball wide with Osborn off his line. Two minutes before the interval Sutton goalkeeper Christopher Gemmell collected Stuart Pierpoint’s header under his crossbar.

The Yeltz finally seemed to liven up and sparked into life with an equaliser seconds into the second-half with Jay DENNY easily tapping home a left-wing cross from Francis.

But the second half then turned into a horror show with Sutton grabbing four more goals. Craig Thomas was put clear on goal in the 55th minute but placed his shot wide. Substitute Leon BLAKE regained Sutton’s lead by smashing a superb 57th minute effort into the top corner from 22 yards. Chaos in the home defence gifted Sutton a third goal in the 71st minute when Decio GOMES turned a right wing cross into his own net with substitute goalkeeper James Dormand ready to collect. Substitute Sam WILSON made in 4-1 after 81 minutes by latching onto a delightful through ball to chip past Dormand.

Hapless Halesowen barely registered an attempt on goal in the second half and Dean Brennan struck a 20 yard free-kick straight at Gemmell in the 85th minute.

Sutton scored an emphatic fifth goal on 90 minutes when a free-kick fell for substitute Luke FULLER to drive home to end a bleak Grove afternoon. 

Halesowen Town: Osborn (Dormand 37); Kameron Abbassi (Lycett 46), Pearce (Perpetuini 46), Gomes, Pierpoint, Amos (Leao 46), Denny, Hamilton, Abbey, Brennan, F. Francis (Waite 46).

Sutton Coldfield Town: Gemmell; Dodd, Watkins, Male, Booth, Owen, Quiggin, Doughty, Rowe, Thomas, McDonald. Subs: Fuller, Wilson, Matt, Murrell, Blake, Flynn.

Referee: P. Hobday (Tipton)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack