We have 49 guests online
01 Jan 2008 SLP Halesowen Town 3-1 Team Bath PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Tuesday, 1st January 2008

Halesowen Town 3 Team Bath 1

Halesowen wrecked Team Bath’s unbeaten league away record and moved up to second in the table with one of their best performances for a considerable time making a perfect start to 2008.

The visitors had previously conceded only three goals on their travels and started strongly by forcing two well rehearsed early corners but Adi Adams drove wide in the 5th minute as Halesowen’s defence held firm with the gloved Stuart Pierpoint playing despite an overnight illness. As Halesowen settled, Jay Denny put Eldon Maquemba through to drive at goalkeeper Darren Chitty low down in the 15th minute and Shane Paul then put the ball across goal with Adams turning the ball behind for an 18th minute corner. A slip by Gary Warren let in Dean Brennan down the right on 20 minutes but he over-hit his final cross.

The Yeltz took a 26th minute lead when Denny played a delightful defence-splitting pass to set BRENNAN free with time to pick his spot and slot past Chitty. Three minutes later Maquemba’s cross almost forced an own goal and from the resulting corner Maquemba flashed a header just wide. Paul then put Maquemba free to run into the penalty area and blast a shot just over the bar.

Goalkeeper Mark Osborn saved a fierce shot from leading goal-scorer Sean Canham after 34 minutes and Osborn made another smart save from Steve Abbott’s header after Shaun Lamb crossed three minutes later. Five minutes before the interval Chitty raced out of goal to save at Maquemba’s feet following an incisive Brennan pass.

Halesowen grabbed a crucial second goal after 51 minutes when Paul’s deep cross from the right was superbly headed home at the far post by Rodney HICKS in his first goal for the club. Paul burst forward from midfield in the 56th minute but struck his final shot at Chitty and Chitty made a good save when Denny played the ball through for Brennan in the 64th minute. Maquemba was stretchered off with an ankle injury on the hour to be replaced by Zema Abbey.

BRENNAN made it 3-0 in the 71st minute by heading home another right-wing cross from Paul as Halesowen bossed the game with neat interchanging passes. Matt Williams clipped just wide on 81 minutes but Team Bath’s frustrations grew with two late bookings as Halesowen’s confidence blossomed. But the visitors managed an injury-time consolation goal with the last kick of the game when Sean CANHAM converted a free-kick from Marc Canham.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Lycett, Perpetuini, Pearce, Pierpoint, Denny, Paul, Caskey, Brennan, Maquemba (Abbey 59), Hicks. Unused Subs: Amos, Francis, Abbassi, Hill.

Team Bath: Chitty; Dillon (Perrott 53), Lamb, Smith, Warren, Green, Adams, M. Canham, Abbott (Williams 53), S. Canham, Hale (Thomson 59). Unused Subs: El-Abd, Cooper.

Referee: S. Martin (Stoke-on-Trent)

Attendance: 571

Booked: Lamb, Pierpoint, Smith (86), S. Canham (90)

Sponsors’ Man of the Match: Dean Brennan

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack