We have 58 guests online
15 Mar 2008 SLP Cheshunt 0-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 15th March 2008

Cheshunt 0 Halesowen Town 2

League leaders Halesowen had to wait patiently for two second-half goals to secure a vital win as rock-bottom Cheshunt slumped to their ninth consecutive defeat.  The visitors were without David Perpetuini due to illness and the versatile Scott Lycett was reported to have elected to turn out for his former club Congleton Town - although no official notification had been received. Consequently, the Yeltz were only able to name three substitutes.

Hopes of an easy three points were raised as Halesowen forced two early corners and in the 2nd minute Stuart Pierpoint’s vicious volley was cleared after Darren Caskey set up Ikechi Anya to cross from the left. However, the rest of the first half looked anything but a top-against-bottom clash with few clear-cut chances. Halesowen forced several more first-half corners without creating real danger against a packed home defence and with goalkeeper Corrin Brooks-Meade, on loan from West Ham United, dominating his area by punching clear.

Cheshunt battled away but had little to offer all afternoon as exemplified by wasting a promising 34th minute free-kick on the edge of Halesowen’s area when Lorcan Fitzgerald - also on loan from West Ham United - blazed the ball high over the bar. Five minutes before the interval Alex Cowley crossed to Eldon Maquemba, but his half volley was tipped around the post by Brooks-Meade. Seconds before the interval, Cheshunt striker Richard Shittu tried to make progress by catching out Halesowen on the break.

Both sides continued to struggle to produce good football at the start of the second period, although Jay Denny swept a 48th minute shot wide and Dean Brennan fired weakly wide of the mark on 54 minutes.

Halesowen eventually found the breakthrough in the 62nd minute when a good passing move led to Anya striking the post from the left and as the rebound fell to Denny he was tripped by Fitzgerald with the referee pointing to the penalty spot. Leading scorer BRENNAN stroked home the penalty kick although Brooks-Meade felt unlucky after getting a firm hand to the ball with a valiant attempt to save to his right. As Halesowen grew in confidence, a spell of better possession saw Brennan hit just over the bar after 67 minutes.

Captain CASKEY wrapped up the vital victory in the 77th minute with a fine low strike into the bottom corner from the edge of the area after Maquemba laid the ball off from Anya’s cross. A minute later goalkeeper Mark Osborn was called into rare action to save at the feet of substitute Tobi Oshitola before a lightning last minute break saw Brennan’s header strike the crossbar after Halesowen substitute Patrick Peters set Anya free to cross from the right.

Cheshunt: Brooks-Meade; Hopkins (Thorogood 67), Fitzgerald, Boateng, Williams, Falco, Priestly (Hogg 67), Cooper, Shittu (Oshitola 76), Taylor, Farrell. Unused Subs: Gambrione, Smith.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Pierpoint, Hamilton, Pearce, Amos, Denny, Cowley (Gomes 71), Caskey, Brennan, Maquemba (Peters 88), Anya. Unused Sub: Abassi.

Referee: R. James

Attendance: 212

Booked: Anya (12), Boateng (33), Denny (85)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack