We have 72 guests online
01 Mar 2008 SLP Halesowen Town 1-2 Banbury United PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 1st March 2008

Halesowen Town 1 Banbury United 2

Halesowen missed an opportunity to go top of the table after losing focus with their promotion charge dented following a sickening badly broken leg to Shane Paul and two goals from Banbury’s Nicky Gordon.

The game was overshadowed when Paul suffered a double fracture of his leg after an over-the-ball challenge from Greg Williams just two minutes into the game. Paul lay motionless in agony surrounded by a crowd of attendants before finally being taken away by ambulance to Russells Hall Hospital. The severe injury caused a lengthy delay of 25 minutes and whilst there appeared no obvious intent, the challenge was clearly a dangerous one. Culprit Williams only received a yellow card but was so distraught by the incident that he was unable to continue and was immediately substituted.

Understandably, Halesowen lost composure and focus after the awful injury although both Banbury goals were down to defensive lapses in the Yeltz defence.

Nicky Gordon stabbed over the Halesowen bar in the 4th minute of actual play before goalkeeper Mark Osborn made a good blocking save to deny Gordon in the 10th minute. Darren Caskey then put Eldon Maquemba through on the Banbury goal but he failed to lob over goalkeeper Andy Wheeler and following a good 13th minute move Decio Gomes fired at Wheeler.

The Puritans took a 21st minute lead when Dennis Pearce’s slip allowed GORDON to advance down the left and lob over both goalkeeper Osborn and last man David Perpetuini on the goal-line. Tommy Kinch then struck a 33rd minute free-kick at Osborn from the edge of the area. Just before the interval Caskey’s free-kick on the edge of the Banbury area was deflected away for a corner.

In a better start to the second half, Dean Brennan fired a 50th minute effort just wide of Banbury’s goal. The Yeltz then hauled themselves level in the 53rd minute when Brennan held up a cross from the right and set up CASKEY to place home his first Halesowen goal from ten yards. Banbury went close again in the 58th minute with a 25-yard drive from Ollie Stanbridge clipping the top of the crossbar. Stuart Pierpoint then tidied up in the 67th minute with danger-man Gordon lurking again and Pearce made a timely interception to block from Stuart Bridges.

As Halesowen sought a vital late winner, Ikechi Anya’s 81st minute shot was turned away for a corner and Pierpoint put a free header over the bar. Maquemba struck weakly at Wheeler on the turn and Wheeler raced out to block after Jay Denny found substitute Patrick Peters free in the 89th minute.

But Banbury snatched a 90th minute winner when Halesowen’s central defence allowed goalkeeper Wheeler’s long clearance to bounce twice in the penalty area in the blustery wind and with Osborn also failing to claim the ball, GORDON hooked home his second goal to end Halesowen’s horrendous afternoon and inflict their first defeat in eight games.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Gomes, Perpetuini, Pearce, Pierpoint, Denny, Paul (Hamilton 2), Caskey, Brennan (Peters 60), Maquemba, Anya. Unused Subs: Amos, Lycett, Unjanque.

Banbury United: Wheeler; Stanbridge, Kinch, Essex, Milner, Fuller, Stuart Bridges, Williams (Gooderick 2), Murphy, Gordon, Scott Bridges. Unused Subs: Bryan, Baird, Sambrook, McKay. 

Referee: C. Husband (Worcester)  

Attendance: 501 

Booked: Williams (2), Murphy (51), Pierpoint (62)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack