We have 25 guests online
06 Oct 2007 SLP Bashley 2-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 6th October 2007

Bashley 2 Halesowen Town 1

Two goals in three minutes late in the first half sent Halesowen crashing to their first away defeat of the season against bashful Bashley. But the Yeltz did more than enough to have been rewarded with at least a point after dominating the game for long spells.

Manager Martin O’Connor recalled out of favour goalkeeper James Dormand after Chris Jay joined Jeff Forsyth and Aaron Farrell on the new injury list. Nick Amos went close twice in the opening minutes with a free header at goalkeeper David Elm in the 2nd minute and his 25-yard half volley went narrowly wide a minute later.

For the home side, David Town blazed over the bar in the 11th minute after Halesowen failed to clear Chris Ferrett’s cross. Elm then made a good save to deny Liam McDonald after his defence were unable to clear their lines from a 15th minute corner. After a couple of half-chances mid-way through the half, Dave Wakefield then made a good 30-yard run before scuffing his final effort. Elm then saved the day again for the hosts by making a brilliant one-handed diving save to keep out McDonald’s 25-yard free-kick on the half-hour.

In an open game, Shane Paul missed the first of several good chances in the 31st minute by poking the ball wide following a dangerous cross from McDonald. But the Yeltz fell behind in the 33rd minute when Wakefield crossed and poor defending gave Justin KEELER a free sight on goal to rifle the ball into the corner of the net from 10 yards out. Recalled Halesowen goalkeeper Dormand then did well to save from Richard Gillespie after he beat Sean Platt in the 35th minute.

Worse followed for Halesowen when they went two goals behind in the 36th minute as Davion Hamilton was harshly penalised - for the second time within a fortnight - after the ball struck his hand from Town’s shot and WAKEFIELD sent Dormand the wrong way from the resulting penalty kick. Shell-shocked Halesowen attempted to hit back with Paul’s cross hitting the top of the bar six minutes before the interval.

The visitors continued to create the better chances throughout the second half and in the 47th minute Paul played a good ball across the six-yard box but none of his team-mates were on hand to tap the ball home. Dormand then made another excellent save to deny Gillespie four minutes later.

Paul DEVLIN gave Halesowen a life-line by reducing the arrears in the 53rd minute when he was fortunate to see his shot take a deflection off defender Matt Parnell to wrong-foot Elm. Paul blazed over the bar from close range in the 62nd minute and Devlin went agonisingly close to equalising when he deftly chipped over Elm but the ball struck the underside of the bar in the 65th minute. Paul wasted another chance a minute later after Elm saved and a 73rd McDonald cross struck the top of the crossbar. With ten minutes remaining Elm turned substitute Stuart Pierpoint’s header over the bar. But the game was up for Halesowen when Devlin failed to connect with an 81st minute cross from substitute Nick Wright and Bashley were content to play out the final minutes to hang on to their unbeaten home record.

Bashley: Elm; Morant, Ferrett, Castle, Parnell, Town, Wakefield, Davis, Moss (Riley 84), Campbell, Keeler. Unused Subs: Gazzard, Harper, Keeping, Burden.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Platt, Hamilton, Pearce (Pierpoint 20), Knight, Amos, Denny (Wright 73), Paul, Devlin, Williams, McDonald. Unused Subs: O’Garro, Francis.

Referee: G. Scott

Attendance: 334

Booked: None

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack