We have 43 guests online
16 Feb 2008 SLP Halesowen Town 4-1 Bashley PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 16th February 2008

Halesowen Town 4 Bashley 1

Rampant Halesowen swept aside play-off hopefuls Bashley with a super-charged second half performance and two more goals from leading scorer Dean Brennan in front of the highest Grove league attendance for nine seasons.

Bashley proved to be a stern test during the first half and forced a string of early corners with home goalkeeper Mark Osborn collecting a header from his own defender Nick Amos before the lively Justin Keeler intercepted a short pass but blasted just wide in the 10th minute. Zema Abbey hobbled off in the 14th minute to be replaced by Eldon Maquemba but with the visitors still enjoying the most possession David Perpetuini turned away a dangerous cross from Richard Gillespie for an 18th minute corner.

The Yeltz took the lead with their first meaningful attack on 20 minutes when Brennan’s quickly taken free-kick set substitute Maquemba free down the right wing to beat his man and cross for Ikechi ANYA to flick home his first Halesowen goal from close range. Darren Caskey’s 24th minute free-kick was then met by Stuart Pierpoint’s header at the far post but the ball ran across goal and just evaded Brennan. Pierpoint then did well to block from Gillespie in the 32nd minute and deflected Dave Town’s shot just past the post a minute later.

Bashley deservedly levelled on 36 minutes when Chris Ferrett whipped in a free-kick from the right for Danny SMITH to glance a header home.

But Halesowen upped their game and blew away their opponents with a stunning second half display and regained the lead after 48 minutes when Caskey lofted the ball forward over the last defender for BRENNAN to nip in and lob over advancing goalkeeper David Elm. Leading scorer BRENNAN made it 3-1 in the 54th minute when he confidently controlled the ball and side-stepped two defenders before stroking the ball into the bottom corner with goalkeeper Elm rooted to the spot. Brennan then rifled a 71st minute half-volley just wide of the upright and Maquemba forced a corner after cutting in from the left two minutes later.

Nick Amos appeared to have legitimately added a fourth goal by firing home from a 74th minute corner but his effort was ruled out by the referee for pushing. The visitors spurned a number of chances to reduce the arrears with Gillespie ballooning the ball over the bar when free on goal after Pierpoint lost the ball. Mark Osborn then made an excellent save to deny Craig Davis who was free on the right in the 75th minute and Ryan Moss hit over the bar with Osborn out of position two minutes later.

But the visitors could not cope with Halesowen’s pace and guile with Anya crossing for substitute Davion Hamilton to drill the ball into the six-yard box from the left with Jay DENNY on hand to stab home to make it 4-1 in the 79th minute. With further goals threatening, Hamilton put the ball just wide from Brennan’s 81st minute cross and Maquemba skipped through the Bashley defence to strike the side-netting from a tight angle in the 88th minute. A minute from full-time Brennan chased his hat-trick by hitting a long-range dipping shot onto the roof of the net.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Lycett, Perpetuini, Amos, Pierpoint, Denny, Paul (Hamilton 64), Caskey, Abbey (Maquemba 14), Brennan, Anya (Peters 83). Unused Subs: Unjanque, Abassi.

Bashley: Elm; Gazzard, Ferrett, Castle, Knowles, Smith, Town, Davis, Moss, Gillespie, Keeler. Unused Subs: Tarr, Burch, Archbold, Riley, Hollick.

Referee: G. C. Laws (Leicester)

Attendance: 617

Booked: Pierpoint (53)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack