We have 53 guests online
27 Nov 2007 WSC2R Stourbridge 2-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Worcestershire Senior Cup 2nd Round – Tuesday, 27th November 2007

Stourbridge 2 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen lost a second-half lead in disappointing fashion to crash out of the Worcestershire Senior Cup at Stourbridge for the second consecutive season and end all involvement in Cup competitions for the year.

The Yeltz enjoyed the majority of first half play without really threatening to open the scoring.  Stuart Pierpoint’s 15th minute free-kick forced a corner and Stourbridge goalkeeper Lewis Solly easily collected Jay Denny’s shot four minutes later. Eldon Maquemba shot at Solly from Zema Abbey’s 23rd minute headed flick and then Abbey put Ludovic Quistin clear but he was crowded out after 27 minutes. Shane Paul’s good cross saw Abbey rise to head just over the bar in the 33rd minute and Maquemba fired just wide from Paul’s free-kick two minutes later. Jay Denny then lofted a free-kick for Maquemba to force a 37th corner. Just before the interval Stourbridge’s Andy Wells blasted a free-kick over the bar at the other end.

Maquemba was played through by Abbey eight minutes into the second half but he dwelt on the ball too long allowing the home defence to clear. The Glassboys then broke away quickly in the 57th minute with Kyle Hadley’s cross sliced away by Pierpoint and from the corner Leon Broadhurst hit an overhead kick over the bar. On the hour Morgan Brookes volleyed an Andy Wells corner over the bar.

With the game seemingly drifting towards extra time, the crowd were finally rewarded with three goals in the final twenty minutes. Halesowen grabbed the lead in a lightning break initiated by a superb throw-out by goalkeeper James Dormand to set Paul off down the right wing and he delivered a cross for ABBEY to side-foot home.

But Stourbridge levelled just three minutes later when Dormand failed to gather a free-kick to cause a goalmouth scramble with Dennis Pearce partly clearing before Dormand blocked another shot and the ball finally fell for Craig SLATER to smash home. Stourbridge claimed the winner amidst more defensive chaos between Dormand and Paul in the 82nd minute with the ball bouncing off BROADHURST and creeping into the net. In the final minute substitute Ruben Wiggins-Thomas headed Maquemba’s cross straight at Solly.

Stourbridge: Solly; Rock (O’Connell 63), Hadley, Bellingham (Danks 88), Brookes, Bennett, Slater, Broadhurst, Wells, Mahon, Rogers. Unused Subs: Jones, Dyson, Collins.

Halesowen Town: Dormand; Lycett, Hamilton, Pearce, Pierpoint, Amos, Paul, Denny, Abbey, Maquemba, Quistin (Wiggins-Thomas HT). Unused Subs: Devlin, Brennan, Francis, Waite.

Referee: J. Law (Worcester)

Attendance: 305

Booked: Lycett (54), Wells (71), Mahon (74)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack