We have 51 guests online
24 Nov 2007 SLP Clevedon Town 0-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 24th November 2007

Clevedon Town 0 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen celebrated their first away victory since March to maintain an impressive eight-game unbeaten league run.

A weakened Clevedon line-up could only name one substitute but Dennis Pearce had to turn away Mike Symon’s left wing cross for a corner in the 7th minute with Mike Trought nodding wide and Kyle Bassatt drove wide two minutes later. Halesowen full-back David Perpetuini then delivered a good free-kick after ten minutes but the home defence cleared.

Clevedon goalkeeper Danny Greaves made a splendid save on 11 minutes from Paul Devlin after Eldon Maquemba hit a hard, low cross along the Clevedon penalty area and Devlin then flashed a shot just wide five minutes later. Stuart Pierpoint flicked a header wide from Darren Caskey’s 20th minute free-kick and Maquemba made another good cross for Dean Brennan to head weakly towards goal a minute later. Greaves then raced out of his goal to collect the ball with Maquemba rushing onto Brennan’s 29th minute through ball.

Yeltz goalkeeper Mark Osborn was called into action on the half-hour to gather Mitchell Page’s effort low down at the second attempt and seconds later the Seasiders wasted a good chance when Symons lost control in front of goal.

Halesowen continued to enjoy greater possession but seemed to lack the killer punch with Caskey striking a 30-yard free-kick over the bar after 32 minutes and another good run and cross from Maquemba saw Brennan head weakly again in the 34th minute. A great 38th minute move involving Scott Lycett, Caskey and Maquemba allowed Shane Paul to cross but the ball didn’t quite drop for Brennan before the defence cleared.

But the Yeltz snatched the winning goal three minutes after the interval when Caskey’s corner fell for Devlin to force Greaves into a good save and BRENNAN was on hand to poke home the rebound. Maquemba then hit just over the bar on the turn in the 52nd minute.

A left wing cross from Clevedon’s Mike Green sailed straight through the Halesowen defence and was just missed by Christian Sylvester after 56 minutes. Paul then headed a deep Perpetuini cross over the Clevedon bar on 75 minutes in the increasingly Stygian playing conditions.

Hard-working Halesowen defended their lead well to claim their first away of the season although Page screwed wide of the post in the 83rd minute. Given the pace of change within the last month who dare speculate what the situation will be when Halesowen next meet the Seasiders in the final scheduled home game of the 2007-08 season?

Clevedon Town: Greaves; Brigham, Haines, Sylvester, Prosser, Trought, Leek, Green, Symons, Page, Bassatt (Cook 68). Unused Subs: None

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Lycett, Perpetuini, Pearce, Pierpoint, Amos, Paul, Caskey, Brennan (Abbey 62), Maquemba, Devlin. Unused Subs: Denny, Hamilton, Wiggins-Thomas, Dormand.

Referee: L. Swabey (Plymouth)

Attendance: 231

Booked: Pierpoint (38)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack