We have 24 guests online
19 Apr 2008 SLP Halesowen Town 1-1 Clevedon Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 19th April 2008

Halesowen Town 1 Clevedon Town 1

Substitute Nathaniel Waite bagged a late point for Halesowen in the 6th minute of injury time in front of the highest Grove attendance of season.

Although title ambitions ended, other results meant Halesowen are guaranteed a third place finish in the league table to book a home semi-final play-off appearance against Chippenham Town.

Andy Hall cut in to hit a low 15-yard drive just past the post in the 6th minute. But in a scrappy first half, the best two chances fell to home captain Darren Caskey against a weakened Clevedon who were only able to name two substitutes at the end of their encouraging season, just three days ahead of their attempt to land the Errea League Cup.

Player-of-the-season Dean Brennan played a long pass out for Hall to set up Caskey in the 9th minute but he scuffed the ball in a good position. Eldon Maquemba was then just wide on the turn two minutes later. For the visitors, Kyle Bassett fired just over the bar on 14 minutes and a minute later Bassett was left free to cross along the face of goal but Stuart Pierpoint made an important clearance for a corner. Clevedon goalkeeper Danny Greaves kept out a low cross from Ikechi Anya after 20 minutes and Maquemba lobbed high over the bar in the 27th minute. Maquemba then broke free down the right on 35 minutes and played the ball into the penalty area for Hall to help the ball onto Caskey, but he was again just unable to find a solid touch and hook the ball home.

After the interval Danny Haines curled a 48th minute free-kick straight at Mark Osborn and Osborn saved at the second attempt from Mitchell Page two minutes later with Kris Leek totally unmarked on the right. As Clevedon started enjoying the better of play, Bassett outpaced Pierpoint down the left and his 52nd minute cross was almost turned home by Leek in the centre. Lively Leek continued to cause problems and his 57th minute effort on the break was blocked by Alex Cowley.

Visiting goalkeeper Greaves made a fine reflex save from Maquemba’s 68th minute header after Dennis Pearce helped on free-kick. But the Seasiders delivered a sucker punch to snatch the lead on 70 minutes when Osborn failed to claim a deep free-kick and central defender Scott HENDY looped a simple header into the net.

Craig Loxton’s deflected shot fell inches wide of the post as Clevedon forced two further corners in the 78th minute. Clevedon were then awarded a 90th minute free-kick in the Halesowen penalty area after Osborn picked up a back-pass from Nick Amos but Osborn made a good save to deny Leek.

But the Yeltz rescued a point deep in stoppage time when WAITE side-footed home his first goal of the season from six yards after the ball was played in from a right-wing free-kick.

Halesowen Town: Osborn; Cowley, Pearce (Abbey 78), Pierpoint, Amos, Denny, Hall, Caskey, Brennan (Waite 86), Maquemba, Anya (Hamilton 67). Unused Subs: Maynard, Piotrowski.

Clevedon Town: Greaves; Brigham, Haines, Bater, Hendy, Scott, Leek, Loxton, Page (Prosser 82), Bassett (Cook 82), Sylvester. Unused Subs: None

Referee: M. Barlow (Wolverhampton)

Attendance: 630

Booked: Brigham (67), Amos (87)

Man of the Match: Jay Denny

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack