We have 49 guests online
16 Aug 2008 SLP Halesowen Town 0-1 Tiverton Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 16th August 2008

Halesowen Town 0 Tiverton Town 1

Halesowen’s high expectations fell flat with a shock home defeat in a disappointing opening game to the new season.

With key players missing, new look Halesowen unveiled two eve-of-season additions in Daryl Taylor - formerly of Halifax - and Dwayne Lee, on loan from Kettering. But Halesowen were restricted to just a couple of half chances during the first period with Taylor hooking at veteran stand-in Tiverton goalkeeper Steven Book in the 2nd minute and Zema Abbey hitting straight at Book after 14 minutes. A promising 43rd minute free-kick was then wasted by Mark Danks and Aaron Cornwall’s 45th minute penalty appeal was turned down.

By contrast Tiverton improved to enjoy the better of the first half after a tentative start with home goalkeeper Nick Bussey saving from Matt Groves on 16 minutes before Bussey saved again as Tom Knighton strolled through the centre five minutes later. Chris Vinnicombe’s 22nd minute free-kick then found its way out to Matt Villis but Bussey blocked again and on 25 minutes Dean Smith made a crucial saving tackle after Groves broke free. Vinnicombe’s 26th minute corner fell invitingly for Mark Saunders but he blazed the best chance of the first period high over the bar.

At the start of the second half Cornwall crossed from the left for Jay Denny to sky the ball over the bar. Halesowen briefly looked more menacing after introducing Justin Rowe and Jermaine Palmer in a double substitution up front and finally created their best chance of the game after 67 minutes when Rowe headed just over the bar from close range from Danks’s cross. Rowe’s 71st minute effort was then blocked by a packed defence as Palmer delivered from the right and visiting captain Nathan Rudge almost turned the ball into his own net in the 72nd minute as the Tiverton defence started to look uncomfortable against the twin-strike threat.

But Halesowen’s pre-season preparations crumbled as Tivvy snatched a 76th minute winner when gigantic Aaron PUGH prodded home from close range after a long free-kick just evaded Michael Briscoe and goalkeeper Bussey failed to collect the ball cleanly off young defender Tom Bryant. Substitute Paul Wyatt then struck over the home bar on the turn in the 81st minute.

The Yeltz were unable to respond although Alex Cowley stole in at the far post with five minutes remaining but failed to fully control the ball and Danks’s 20-yard effort went wide in stoppage time.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Smith (Palmer 58), Cowley, Bryant, Briscoe, Denny, Taylor, Lee, Abbey (Rowe 58), Danks, Cornwall. Unused Subs: Melitas, Caskey, Ransome(GK)

Tiverton Town: Book; Adam Faux, Vinnicombe, Villis, Rudge, Gardner, Pugh (Hiley 79), Hopkinson, Knighton, Saunders, Groves (Wyatt 81). Unused Subs: Gould, Veale, Alex Faux.

Referee: M. Granda (Shrewsbury)

Attendance: 423

Booked: Pugh (73)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack