We have 35 guests online
19 Aug 2008 SLP Rugby Town 0-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Tuesday, 19th August 2008

Rugby Town 0 Halesowen Town 2

Halesowen were firmly back to business with a comprehensive and encouraging victory at Butlin Road.

New centre half Tom Kemp, signed from Kettering, lined up alongside Michael Briscoe and Tom Bryant in a three man defensive formation that had a solid feel as Halesowen improved significantly from Saturday’s defeat against Tiverton.

Kemp almost put his name on the score-sheet within four minutes but his wide-angled shot at the far post was blocked by goalkeeper Andrew Stevens. Justin Rowe’s cross was then cleared and Jay Denny posed problems with his 10th minute header. Mark Danks then lobbed onto the crossbar after 11 minutes as Halesowen kept up the early pressure.

Although the first half proved to be somewhat tentative with both sides seeking their first points of the new season, Rugby had their moments with Tom Bryant clearing off the goal-line from Kevin Banner’s 13th minute corner and Neil King drove wide after 20 minutes. Kemp then did well on 33 minutes to clear a cross from the left by David Kolodynski. Goalkeeper Nick Bussey made a fine reflex save to keep out the best chance of the first half when Dolapo Olaoye made a great turn to put himself free on goal in the 34th minute – after which Halesowen never looked back.

The Yeltz finished the first half strongly with Justin Rowe glancing his header wide from Aaron Cornwall’s cross and Danks wasted a good chance by trying an audacious lob when free on the right after Stevens made a hash of his clearance. Just before the interval Delroy Gordon made a great challenge to deny Rowe and Cornwall directed a free header straight at goalkeeper Stevens from Kemp’s cross.

Halesowen finally grabbed their first goal of the season when Stevens failed to punch clear a second successive 58th minute corner from Cornwall and Tom BRYANT powered forward to head home on a crowded goal-line. The goal allowed Halesowen to relax and play football to their full potential and a second goal followed in the 72nd minute when substitute Jermaine PALMER hit home a splendid 20-yard shot after Cornwall headed back Daryl Taylor’s right wing cross with the Rugby defence stretched.

The Yeltz could easily have added further goals as they dominated the second half and Stevens made a good block after Denny was put clear in the 74th minute before Palmer almost turned home Rowe’s 85th minute cross from close range. Palmer was put free on goal on the break twice within the final three minutes but was drawn wide before hitting along goal after 88 minutes and then played a one-two with Cornwall on 90 minutes before seeing his effort cleared off the line. However, it was well-beaten Rugby’s Mark Edge who struck the Halesowen crossbar in injury time.

Rugby Town: Stevens; Gordon, Commander (Taylor 27), Scott, Walker, Edge, Kolodynski, King, Olaoye (Robinson 63), Gearing (Pearson 63), Banner. Unused Subs: Ryan, Martin.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Denny, Cowley, Kemp, Briscoe, Bryant, Taylor, Lee, Rowe (Abbey 76), Danks (Palmer 66), Cornwall. Unused Subs: Caskey, Melitas, Smith.

Referee: M. Amphlett (Kidderminster)

Attendance: 287

Booked: Cowley (59)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack