We have 214 guests online
30 Aug 2008 SLP Hemel Hempstead Town 1-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 30th August 2008

Hemel Hempstead Town 1 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen were pegged back after a second-half defensive slip handed the Tudors a share of the points.  Although the Yeltz would’ve settled for a draw before a potentially tricky game, they could easily have gained all three points on a delightfully sunny Summer afternoon in the Home Counties.

With several Halesowen players having only a short journey to Vauxhall Road, Jay Denny crashed a lay-off over the Hemel bar early on and Darren Caskey’s 10th minute free-kick from the edge of the area was blocked. Caskey then combined with Aaron Cornwall and Dean Brennan to force a 12th minute corner in a fine move.

It was then Halesowen’s turn to soak up the pressure with Jon Stevenson’s long drive collected by Nick Bussey before 17th minute shots from Chris Dillon and Steve Wales were both blocked. The ball broke off Caskey in midfield to give Dillon a clear run on goal after 22 minutes but Bussey saved low down.

The Yeltz took the lead on 27 minutes when BRENNAN converted a direct free-kick from the edge of the area against his former home club. Just before the interval the visitors had a chance to increase their lead when Cornwall fed Denny on the break but Ian Brown made a splendid save for a corner.

Mark Danks hit just wide from the right in the 48th minute after replacing Caskey at half-time. But with the Yeltz seemingly in control, the Tudors were gifted a 54th minute equaliser when central defender Michael Briscoe was at fault by allowing the ball under his foot and let in Gary Sippetts to cross for unmarked WALES to fire home easily at the far post.

With Halesowen trying to regain the initiative, great footwork from Cornwall saw defender Simon Sweeney put the resulting cross over his own bar on 62 minutes and a minute later Tom Bryant forced another corner kick. Justin Rowe then set up substitute Jermaine Palmer after 75 minutes but Brown made a good save.

Bussey then made two excellent saves as Hemel wasted two good chances on the break down the slope. Substitute Harry Hunt tangled with Briscoe before seeing his 75th minute shot well saved by Bussey and Bussey also kept out substitute Steve Sinclair’s 82nd minute effort. But busy Bussey escaped in the 86th minute when a long ball sailed over his head and as he recovered Hunt was judged to have clipped the keeper’s legs with the ball rolling into the net.

An explosive period of stoppage time saw Hemel reduced to ten men, 2 further bookings and a goalmouth scramble. Mark Coulson was shown a straight red card for lashing out at Danks and the following free-kick resulted in a prolonged goal-line scrum. Hemel goalkeeper Brown somehow kept the ball out with Danks was booked in skirmish and Hemel substitute Steve Jackman was then also booked seconds after entering play in his first and only involvement.

Hemel Hempstead Town: Brown; Sweeney, Coulson, Stevenson (Jackman 90), Bowden-Haase, Deeney, Wales, Herron (Sinclair 73), Dillon, Sippetts (Hunt 73), Martin. Unused Subs: Marsh, Hart.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Taylor (Palmer 71), Cowley, Kemp, Briscoe, Bryant (Ujah 81), Denny, Caskey (Danks 45), Rowe, Brennan, Cornwall. Unused Subs: Abbey, Russell.

Referee: W. Porter (Bourne)

Attendance: 252

Booked: Danks (90), Jackman (90)

Sent Off: Coulson (90)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack