We have 23 guests online
02 Sept 2008 SLP Halesowen Town 5-2 Oxford City PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Tuesday, 2nd September 2008

Halesowen Town 5 Oxford City 2

Oxford had the blues after surrendering a first half lead and conceding three goals in the last six minutes in their first ever meeting with Halesowen.

Early on, Halesowen goalkeeper Nick Bussey raced out smartly to clear a long ball and Oxford’s Jon Gardner drove wide after 9 minutes. Second from bottom Oxford took the lead in the 12th minute when awful misjudgement from goalkeeper Bussey allowed a hopeful 35-yard free-kick from full-back Steve DAVIS to sail over his head and straight into the net.

Halesowen levelled in the 19th minute when Dwayne Lee did well and Justine Rowe’s shot came out for man-of-the match Alex COWLEY to cut inside his marker from the right and curl a superb shot into the top corner.

Home goalkeeper Bussey tipped a 30-yard free-kick from Gardner over the bar on 21 minutes and five minutes later Bussey clutched onto a header from Craig Faulconbridge. Rowe was inches wide after shaking off his marker in the 26th minute and visiting goalkeeper Ryan Harrison saved low down from Aaron Cornwall two minutes later. Darren Caskey then headed over the bar in the 31st minute after more excellent footwork saw Cowley cross from the right and Cowley crossed yet again to earn a 38th minute corner.

But Halesowen’s defence was caught out and exposed again on the stroke of half-time when the ball fell for Craig FAULCONBRIDGE to hook home in the penalty area from ten yards.

Tom Bryant replaced unhappy Curtis Ujah at the interval but the Yeltz were crowded out against a packed Oxford defence at the start of the second period.

But Halesowen eventually forced a 61st minute equaliser when Harrison did well to save Cornwall’s awkward low drive but the rebound fell for ROWE to follow up. Harrison then made a fabulous flying 65th minute save to deny Cowley and Dean Brennan was just wide after a good move in the 70th minute. At the other end Bussey beat the ball away after Andy Baird latched onto a long ball a minute later.

The Yeltz made the game safe with three late goals after the introduction of substitute Jermaine Palmer in the 80th minute. Michael Lyon tripped Cornwall in the penalty area after 84 minutes and PALMER slotted home the resulting penalty to put Halesowen ahead for the first time at 3-2. Caskey laid the ball off for defender Tom KEMP to lash home his first Halesowen goal in the 88th minute and Jay DENNY made it 5-2 in injury time with his fierce 15-yard shot hitting the net despite a splendid attempt to save from goalkeeper Harrison.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Cowley, Cornwall, Kemp, Briscoe, Ujah (Bryant 45), Lee, Caskey, Rowe, Brennan (Palmer 80), Denny. Unused Subs: Abbey, Taylor, Danks.

Oxford City: Harrison; Saulsbury, Davis, Gunn, Redknap, Allaway (Avery 62), Gardner, Malone (Romeo 86), Faulconbridge, Baird, Lyon (Bell 86). Unused Subs: Weedon, Posey.

Referee: J. Thornhill (Ilkeston)

Attendance: 454

Booked: Cornwall (90), Faulconbridge (90)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack