We have 29 guests online
23 Sept 2008 SLCPR Sutton Coldfield Town 1-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

GX Southern League Cup Preliminary Round – Tuesday, 23rd September 2008

Sutton Coldfield Town 1 Halesowen Town 1 (AET) - Halesowen won 6-5 on penalties

Full-back Jack Allward became Halesowen’s hero in a penalty shoot-out by first saving from Jamille Matt and then converting Halesowen’s final penalty after taking over in goal from dismissed goalkeeper Nick Bussey, playing in his first game since completing a three-match ban for a previous red-card offence.

The Yeltz were one of only four teams competing in the preliminary round and introduced new striker Darren Dykes, signed from Rugby, as well as handing a full debut to Eric Hummel on a much-improved Coles Lane playing surface.

But in a slow start for Halesowen, it was John Daniels who struck the right post for the Royals in the 5th minute and former Halesowen central defender Ed Booth was unlucky with a 17th minute header after Sutton forced two corners. The Royals took a 25th minute lead when a cross escaped Bussey and full-back Jae MARTIN had plenty of time and space to control and convert a low drive into the far corner. Bussey then failed to collect a 33rd minute cross but recovered to make a good save from another former Halesowen player, Junior Brown. Alex Cowley crossed from the left for Halesowen on 36 minutes although the visitors failed to trouble goalkeeper Chris Gemmell in the first half.

Halesowen’s prospects of meeting Stourbridge in the next round looked bleak when Bussey was shown a straight red card for fouling last man Jamille Matt outside his area in the 50th minute. However, the dismissal galvanised the visitors and substitute Constantine MELITAS equalised by striking a superb volley from outside the area off the underside of the bar on 56 minutes.

Sutton tried but failed to test makeshift goalkeeper Allward until the 87th minute when Allward pulled off a great save to deny Craig Owen’s 20-yard effort. During the extra-time period and Hummel dragged a good chance wide in the 113th minute and Allward collected from substitute Neil Davis at the other end four minutes later.

In the penalty decider, Zema ABBEY and COWLEY converted with Sutton’s OWEN and MARTIN making it 2-2. Halesowen took a 3-2 advantage when MELITAS converted and Davis hit over the bar. But Dean Smith then struck the bar allowing Jake MURRALL to draw level. Michael BRISCOE and Phil MALE were both successful to make it 4-4 after five penalties. Substitute Daryl TAYLOR and Jimmy QUIGGIN struck home the first sudden death penalty for each side before Halesowen looked in trouble when Tom Bryant’s spot-kick was saved by Gemmell. However, Dion Scott could only hit the bar with the penalty score remaining 5-5 after seven penalties. The Yeltz appeared to be going out again when the 8th penalty from Eric Hummel was saved but Allward saved the day by keeping out Matt’s strike down the centre of goal. Sutton were punished when ALLWARD stepped up to slot home and when Daniels missed, it was Halesowen who progressed 6-5 after 9 penalties each.

Sutton Coldfield Town: Gemmell; Daniels, Martin, Male, Booth, Moran (Scott 90), Owen, Murrall, Brown (Davis 79), Matt, Thomas (Quiggin 76). Unused Subs: Arshad, Milner.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Smith, Allward, Bryant, Briscoe, Denny, Hummel, Cowley, Abbey, Dykes (Taylor 90), Danks (Melitas 45). Unused Subs: Cornwall, Rowe, Palmer.

Referee: M. Bingham

Attendance: 103

Booked: Male (85), Moran (86)

Sent Off: Bussey (51)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack