We have 39 guests online
14 Oct 2008 SLP Halesowen Town 3-2 Brackley Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Tuesday, 14th October 2008

Halesowen Town 3 Brackley Town 2

Halesowen bounced back to winning ways but had to survive more defensive jitters in an entertaining five-goal victory over ten-man Brackley.

Manager Morell Maison handed a debut to new signing Chris Nurse but it was Brackley’s Tom Winters who lobbed into the side-netting from 20 yards in the 3rd minute.

Darren CASKEY curled the opening goal past goalkeeper Richard Knight to claim his first of the season after Halesowen were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area in the 10th minute. The visitors went close to replying two minutes later when Scott Hadland ghosted in with a header from Tom Winters’ free-kick.

Knight was beaten again when Halesowen went 2-0 ahead in the 16th minute with recalled Mark DANKS picking his spot to hit the top corner from 20 yards. Lively Danks was then narrowly wide from Justin Rowe’s 26th minute right-wing cross. At the other end Chris Sanna saved a 33rd minute low drive from Ben Mackey and three minutes later poor Brackley defending let in Danks to set up Rowe but Knight made a good blocking save.

Tom Kemp’s 38th minute header only went as far as Mackey but he skied the ball over the bar at the Shed end and Winters drove past the post from a wide angle on 40 minutes.

Halesowen had the perfect opportunity to secure the points at the start of an action-packed second half when Danks missed a sitter at the far post from Caskey’s superb chip. But the Saints pulled a goal back in the 51st minute when Kemp lost the ball and Winters crossed from the left over goalkeeper Chris Sanna for Tony THORPE to head home on the goal-line.

Wayne Blossom made Brackley’s task harder by being sent off in the 61st minute for his second bookable offence just nine minutes after his first yellow card. The three points seemed safe when KEMP made it 3-1 by nodding home from close range off the underside of the crossbar after substitute Jermaine Palmer headed on Caskey’s corner.

But Brackley kept going to make Halesowen sweat in the final stages. In the 70th minute Winters’ shot was blocked and Sanna made a good save from Ben Mackey with Thorpe somehow poking the rebound wide with the goal at his mercy. The Saints reduced the arrears once again on 79 minutes in another untidy defensive goal with manager Phil Lines confirming that WINTERS claimed the decisive touch to make it 3-2.

Brackley goalkeeper Knight then made a string of fine saves to keep out Halesowen in the final minutes. With three minutes remaining Knight beat away Jay Denny’s fierce strike and Knight was smartly down to deny Danks a minute later. Knight then made superb stops from Danks and Palmer in the 89th minute but ten-man Brackley almost grabbed an equaliser in the 90th minute when substitute Dean Cracknell cracked the crossbar with a 25-yard strike. Brackley then forced a couple of heart-stopping corners in the eight minutes of added time with Mackey heading just wide.

Halesowen Town: Sanna; Canoville (Bryant 75), Cowley, Kemp, Hoyte, Denny, Nurse, Caskey, Rowe (Palmer 59), Danks, Cornwall. Unused Subs: Abbey, Briscoe, Michi.

Brackley Town: Knight; Farley, Patterson (Perpetuini 74), Pierson (Cracknell 45), Green, Blossom, Staff (Fontenelle 74), Hadland, Thorpe, Mackey, Winters. Unused Subs: Spencer, Harper.

Referee: J. Cox (Evesham)

Attendance: 407

Booked: Hadland (10), Pierson (44), Blossom (52), Caskey (87), Rowe, Danks 

Sent Off: Blossom (61)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack