We have 37 guests online
21 Oct 2008 FAT1QRR Halesowen Town 0-1 Durham City PDF Print E-mail

FA Trophy 1st Qualifying Round Replay – Tuesday, 21st October 2008

Halesowen Town 0 Durham City 1

Halesowen bowed out of the Trophy after determined Durham maintained their magnificent unbeaten start to the season in their long midweek trip.

The replay contrasted with Saturday’s eight goal encounter as a solitary goal was just enough to separate the sides in a high tempo contest. Although the Yeltz did not play badly, they created few clear chances and were outwitted by settled Durham oozing an enviable team spirit and confidence.

Durham displayed their early intent in an excellent 7th minute move when David Duke set full-back Steven Capper away in space down the left wing to cross for Steven Richardson and he helped the ball on to Tommy English at the far post but goalkeeper Nick Bussey clawed the ball away with Durham appealing that the ball had crossed the goal-line.

Halesowen then enjoyed the better possession without really threatening the Durham goal. Mark Danks’ 8th minute shot from the right was collected by goalkeeper Craig Turns and Turns then palmed away a 19th minute cross from Danks.

The Grove was shrouded in semi-darkness midway through the first half after a partial floodlight failure in the 26th minute – caused by an outside problem – resulted in a 16-minute delay. On the re-start Bussey tipped a 25 yard free-kick from English around the post and punched away the resulting corner. A minute before the interval Turns collected another Danks shot low down with the visitors posing problems on the break.

Into the second half, Aaron Cornwall was crowded out after exchanging passes with Danks on a long run in the 52nd minute and on 59 minutes Calvin Smith made a timely interception to deny Jay Denny in the area. Alex Cowley’s effort was high over the bar on the hour and a Danks shot was blocked after more solid defending in the 62nd minute.

Durham snatched the decisive goal in the 64th minute when English threaded a delightful pass through for Steven RICHARDSON to calmly slot the ball under Bussey under the watchful eye of scouts from future opponents Histon and Marine.

Danks was wide with a 66th minute shot and he then put substitute Justin Rowe clear to strike the side-netting after 70 minutes in Halesowen’s best chance of the evening. But Halesowen could find no answer and in injury time Turns clung onto Cornwall’s shot with delighted Durham playing out the final seconds to earn a trip to Marine in the next round.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; D. Smith (Caskey 81), Allward, Kemp, Briscoe, Denny (Rowe 68), Cowley, Nurse, Palmer (Abbey 74), Danks, Cornwall. Unused Subs: Bryant, Sanna.

Durham City: Turns; Harrison, Capper, Dodds, Dixon, Laws, C. Smith, Bell, S. Richardson (Fisher 80), Duke (Morris 68), English (R. Smith 90). Subs: J. Richardson.

Referee: C. Rushton (Stone, Staffs.)

Attendance: 311

Booked: Nurse (33), Dodds (63), Laws (86)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack