We have 40 guests online
22 Nov 2008 SLP Halesowen Town 5-3 Yate Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 22nd November 2008

Halesowen Town 5 Yate Town 3

Recent Portuguese signings Nuno Barreto and Ruben Gouveia grabbed three goals to power Halesowen to their third consecutive victory in an action-packed eight-goal thriller.

However, Halesowen made a terrible start when Paul METHERINGHAM bundled home the ball after the home defence failed to clear a long Yate throw-in after just 2 minutes. But full-back Jack ALLWARD levelled in the 7th minute with a superb half-volley strike from 20 yards to claim his first goal of the season as Yate failed to clear Jermaine Palmer’s effort from a corner kick.

The Bluebells regained their lead in the 21st minute when the referee’s assistant flagged for handball by central defender Gavin Hoyte and Aaron BLAKEMORE crashed home the resulting penalty. Former Halesowen goalkeeper Danny Woodhall then made fine saves to claw away an excellent direct free-kick from Mark Danks on 23 minutes and saved well from Palmer at the foot of his post three minutes later. As the excitement continued, Yate’s Blakemore then saw his own super strike out of the blue ricochet back off the Halesowen post on the half-hour and Dean Griffiths found himself yards clear of the home defence in the 38th minute before losing control. On the stroke of half-time Griffiths found further space behind the Halesowen defence but Nick Bussey made an excellent double save.

Halesowen gained the advantage when Yate were reduced to ten men at the start of the second period after Craig Davidge was sent off for his second yellow card offence. Gouveia’s 52nd minute snapshot was then fumbled clear by Woodhall.

The Yeltz equalised for the second time when Danks crossed for PALMER to sweep the ball home in the 58th minute. The hosts then took the lead for the first time when Nuno BARRETO headed home from a Danks corner to register his maiden Halesowen goal in the 64th minute.

But 10-man Yate were gifted an equaliser at 3-3 through another needless penalty when goalkeeper Bussey raced out to clip Griffiths’ legs and BLAKEMORE gratefully smashed home his second penalty of the game.

Non-stop Halesowen overcame some continued tough tackling to secure the points with two late goals from Gouveia. Crowd-favourite GOUVEIA side-stepped his marker in the area to unleash an excellent individual strike on 75 minutes and also open his Halesowen account. As tensions rose, a spell of pushing and shoving then ensued culminating in the Yate manager being sent from the dug-out after 80 minutes before Woodhall made a good 85th minute save from Danks. Danks then selflessly squared the ball for unmarked GOUVEIA to pull the trigger and bury the ball to make it 5-3 with two minutes remaining.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Briscoe, Allward, Canoville (Smith 14), Hoyte, Denny, Cowley, Barreto, Palmer, Gouveia (Campbell 90), Danks. Unused Subs: Melitas, Hummel, Caskey.

Yate Town: Woodhall; Vahid, Stanley (McCootie 84), Brice, Metitiri, Metheringham, Blakemore, Chenoweth (Beadle 74), Griffiths, Davidge, Whittington (Reid 50). Unused Subs: Newman, Jefferies.

Referee: J. Simpson (Telford)

Attendance: 409

Booked: Davidge (22), Whittington (56), Briscoe (67), Brice (87), Blakemore (90).

Sent Off: Davidge (49)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack