We have 37 guests online
29 Nov 2009 SLP Corby Town 1-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 29th November 2008

Corby Town 1 Halesowen Town 2

Two first half goals from Mark Danks lifted Halesowen above promotion-chasing Corby to second place in the table in a fourth successive league victory.

The visitors made a lively start and enjoyed the better of the first half with Danks crossing for Ruben Gouveia to shoot wide on three minutes. Former Yeltz goalkeeper Mark Osborn palmed away as Gouveia met Aaron Cornwall’s 5th minute cross and Gouveia then latched onto a long 10th minute ball to turn inside his marker and fire against the side netting.

Ex-Halesowen forward Dean Brennan took every opportunity to shoot on sight and his 25-yard free-kick struck the outside base of the post after 12 minutes before he dragged a half volley wide two minutes later.

The Yeltz took a 15th minute lead when Nuno Barreto chipped forward for Gouveia to cross towards Zema Abbey from the right, but the ball was only partly cleared allowing DANKS to hit home a low drive from 12 yards out. A good flowing move after 19 minutes then ended with Osborn collecting from Danks.

Corby gradually came into the game to enjoy a better spell later in the first half with Steve Towers’ shot blocked for a 22nd minute corner. The Steelmen equalised in the 26th minute after goalkeeper Nick Bussey made a good save from Brennan but the rebound fell for Lee HILDRETH to follow up, although the defence appealed for offside. Bussey went down to save from Brennan on the turn in the 37th minute and Brennan’s curling effort fell just wide five minutes later.

Halesowen regained the lead in the 45th minute just when DANKS converted superbly from a direct free-kick on the edge of the area after Rikki Bains brought down Cornwall seconds before the half-time whistle.

Abbey almost added a third Halesowen goal when his fine 20-yard drive rattled back off the post in the 59th minute. But Corby enjoyed the majority of late play after introducing three substitutions. Substitute Jon Stevenson was ruled well offside when he headed home in the 75th minute and Dean West was just wide in the 86th minute with the visitors pinned back. But encouragingly, the Halesowen defence held firm to secure a crucial victory near the top of the table.

Corby Town: Osborn; West, Watt (Mettam 55), Bains, Warren, Hildreth (Hibbert 70), Burgess (Stevenson 64), Towers, Brennan, Diggin, Duckett. Unused Subs: O’Halloran, Crockett.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Briscoe, Cowley, Canoville, Hoyte, Barreto, Denny, Cornwall, Abbey, Danks, Gouveia (Campbell 70). Unused Subs: Caskey, Smith, Melitas, Hummel.

Referee: G. Russell (Northampton)

Attendance: 417

Booked: Bains (45), Danks (81), Mettam (90)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack