We have 31 guests online
01 Jan 2009 SLP Halesowen Town 1-3 Stourbridge PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Thursday, 1st January 2009

Halesowen Town 1 Stourbridge 3

Black Country rivals Stourbridge made it a miserable holiday period for Halesowen in front of a bumper Bank Holiday attendance.

Not for the first time the Yeltz fell flat in front of their large home crowd in the second consecutive home league defeat. A 2nd minute free-kick from Halesowen’s Mark Danks came to nothing and Nuno Barreto did well to stop the resulting Stourbridge breakaway. Danks then hit a 6th minute wide-angled shot at visiting goalkeeper Lewis Solly.

It was 19 years ago that the local rivals last met in the league and never before at Southern Premier level. But the Glassboys made up for lost time and almost took an 8th minute lead when a long throw came off the back of home defender Alex Cowley’s head before hitting the base of the Halesowen post with Michael Briscoe booting clear. Drew Canavan then hit a 20-yard shot at on-loan Yeltz goalkeeper Danny Ireland a minute later.

The Yeltz enjoyed plenty of possession but over-elaborated and found difficulty opening up the Stourbridge defence. Solly raced out of goal to clear after Ross Collins slipped in the 12th minute and Solly then turned away Jay Denny’s snapshot two minutes later. Chris Nurse failed to connect properly with the resulting corner in front of goal and Aaron Cornwall placed wide at the far post after a good ball across the area from Denny in the 19th minute.

Ireland easily collected Canavan’s 25th minute free-kick before unmarked Sam Rock missed a golden Stourbridge chance by heading well wide after Langford laid the ball back for James Dyson to cross a minute later. At the other end Danks fluffed in front of the Stourbridge goal after latching onto a long ball on the half hour.

Spirited Stourbridge took a 32nd minute lead when Leon BROADHURST brushed Nurse off the ball in midfield and was allowed to advance to strike a low, raking shot from the edge of the area with on-loan Yeltz goalkeeper Ireland fumbling into the net. Canavan’s 36th minute shot was then deflected away for a corner.

Just before the interval, a long passing move from Halesowen ended with Justin Rowe turning to fire wide in the area and Aaron Cornwall’s 45th minute cross evaded the home forward-line in the Stourbridge area.

The Glassboys stunned the home crowd by taking a 2-0 lead three minutes into the second period when Nurse again lost out to Broadhurst and although Ireland parried away his shot, impressive LANGFORD squeezed the rebound inside the near post. 

But the Yeltz took just one minute to get back into the game when BARRETO slotted home Nurse’s 49th minute left wing cross at the far post. Despite further neat approach play, Halesowen lacked the end product and made little further impression. Stourbridge’s Nathan Bennett towered high to nod Les Hines’ 57th minute corner wide and Calum Martin’s 20-yard effort flew wide four minutes later. The visitors then forced two corners in the 63rd minute after Canavan was forced wide in a good position in the penalty area.

Lively Halesowen substitute Ruben Gouveia crossed from the right in the 67th minute but Solly managed to block Danks’ shot and Solly was then smartly down to cut out Rowe’s 70th minute cross.

Langford whipped in a cross for BROADHURST to slide in to make it 3-1 and seal the game in the 73rd minute. The goal finally killed off the Yeltz and although Gouveia struck the Stourbridge side-netting in the 82nd minute, it was home defender Gavin Hoyte who tidied up on the goal-line after Rock’s cross was met by a weak effort from substitute Ashley Robinson in injury time.

Halesowen Town: Ireland; Briscoe (Smith 60), Cowley, Canoville, Hoyte, Denny, Cornwall (Gouveia 56), Nurse (Caskey 65), Rowe, Danks, Barreto. Unused Subs: Campbell, Hummel.

Stourbridge: Solly; Rock, Hines, Collins, Langford, Bennett, Slater, Broadhurst, Martin (Robinson 83), Dyson, Canavan (Drake 86). Unused Subs: Bridgwater, Mahon, Winsper.

Referee: P. Keane (Coseley)

Attendance: 1273

Booked: Caskey (68), Canoville (79), Robinson (89)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack