We have 27 guests online
17 Jan 2009 SLP Oxford City 4-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 17th January 2009

Oxford City 4 Halesowen Town 1

On-loan Alex Fisher landed a brace on his convincing Oxford debut as Halesowen encountered choppy waters on their first ever visit to Court Place Farm.

Andy Gunn had shot in-form Oxford into an early lead but mis-firing Gunn helped Halesowen by equalising with a bizarre own-goal before also aiming a last minute penalty well off target.

Injuries, suspensions, departures and a lack of recent signings gave Halesowen a threadbare appearance and City took a 6th minute lead when GUNN glanced a simple header past goalkeeper Nick Bussey from Michael Lyon’s corner. A low 20-yard drive from Mark Danks fell just wide on 18 minutes and Ruben Gouveia earned a corner with Oxford goalkeeper Ryan Harrison punching clear Aaron Cornwall’s good delivery two minutes later. Alex Cowley’s 26th minute cross was then headed high by makeshift centre-forward Danny Campbell.

The Yeltz were given hope when GUNN’s panicky header rolled past Harrison into his own net to level on 28 minutes from Cowley’s cross after a spell of pressure.

But the lively hosts continued to dominate and a great flowing wing-to-wing move on the half-hour led to Bussey making a good save from Jamie Brooks with Fisher heading the resulting corner onto the post. Darren Pond then volleyed wide from 25 yards in the 34th minute.

Oxford re-gained the lead in first-half injury time when Bussey could only parry a fierce 20-yard drive from BROOKS with the ball just crossing the line by the post as Fisher smashed home to make sure.

Halesowen’s task was made impossible after falling 3-1 behind just two minutes into the second-half when Lyon blasted a 20-yard free-kick into the penalty area and FISHER was first to react to flick past Bussey from close range as the ball ricocheted around the goalmouth with the defence appealing for offside.

Harrison made a good blocking save after a kind bounce put Darren Caskey clear on goal in the 54th minute and Cowley’s 66th minute cross was then flicked wide by Jay Denny. Danger-man Fisher then touched the ball off for Pond to strike just over the Halesowen bar with 70 minutes on the clock.

Halesowen fell hook, line and sinker after FISHER made it 4-1 when put through to expertly beat the last defender and slot past Bussey and it could have been worse for the visitors but Gunn fired a blank to strike a 90th minute penalty high and wide after Mark Lambert was brought down.

Oxford City: Harrison; Lambert, Ballard, Gunn, Pond (Davis 70), Malone, Lyon, Savage, Fisher (Carbon 85), Baird, Brooks (Rendell 73). Unused Sub: Merritt.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Briscoe, Cowley, Pearce, Canoville, Denny, Gouveia, Caskey, Campbell (Hummel 68), Danks, Cornwall. Unused Subs: Allward, Rowe.

Referee: M. Downey (Bourne End, Bucks.)

Attendance: 292

Booked: None

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack