We have 32 guests online
24 Jan 2009 SLP Halesowen Town 0-4 Rugby Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 24th January 2009

Halesowen Town 0 Rugby Town 4

Rampant Rugby strolled to a surprisingly comfortable four-goal victory against depleted Halesowen.

But the embarrassment was partly self-inflicted after Halesowen started with only two substitutes and their bench was left empty when both were deployed in the first twenty minutes. New signing and former Buckingham stalwart Reuben Max-Grant arrived late but was introduced for his first game in four weeks after just eight minutes to replace the immobile Justin Rowe, whilst other new signing Jon Stevenson was unable to play a part after missing his Kettering train stop-off.

Rugby raced into a 5th minute lead when Stephen Morley whipped in the first of several excellent crosses from the right and leading marksman David KOLODYNSKI volleyed home from close range at the far post. Darren Caskey’s 30-yard free-kick was then finger-tipped over the bar by Rugby goalkeeper Andy Stevens.

But for busy Nick Bussey making a string of fine saves, the final outcome could have been worse as Rugby ran the show. David Stone saw his 15-yard shot well saved by Bussey for a 19th minute corner and Neil King should have done better when he blazed over the bar in front of goal four minutes later.

Rugby romped 2-0 ahead on 26 minutes when excellent work saw Stone skip past several defenders and captain Delroy GORDON converted his cross from the right from 5 yards. Before the interval, Matt Gearing ran half the length of the pitch before being denied and then saw a rasping 32nd minute shot saved by Bussey. For the home side, Mark Danks pulled the ball wide when through on goal on 41 minutes.

The second half horror show saw Rugby threaten to run riot against Halesowen’s last standing ten men with Erik Hummel injured. Stone volleyed into Bussey’s arms from Morley’s 49th minute cross and the visitors missed another great chance on 56 minutes when Michael Briscoe cleared off the line from Gearing and King crashed the open goal over the bar. With the hosts penned back, Bussey made an acrobatic save at the base of the post from David Staff a minute later and Koldynski somehow misfired in front of goal from Gearing’s 63rd minute cross.

Caskey struck the outside of the post with a 64th minute free-kick from the edge of the area in a rare Halesowen attempt. Bussey then kept out a 66th minute deflected shot from Stone and Koldynski curled wide on 73 minutes.

Two late goals gave a true reflection of the play against a dispirited Yeltz. KOLODYNSKI latched onto a long ball to blast home off goalkeeper Bussey after 74 minutes. Gearing’s 25-yard drive was tipped over the bar by Bussey before STAFF was on hand to seal the 4-0 rout in the 79th minute after Liam Nicell’s shot rebounded off the post.

In the final minute, underemployed Rugby goalkeeper Stevens saved with his legs from Max-Grant and then watched Max-Grant lob another chance wide.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Cowley, Allward (Canoville 21), Briscoe, Pearce, Denny, Hummel, Caskey, Rowe (Max-Grant 8), Danks, Gouveia.

Rugby Town: Stevens; Nicell, Morley, Musgrove, Gordon, Breward, Gearing, King (Fitzharris 81), Stone, Kolodynski (Taylor 77), Staff (Purton 85). Unused Subs: Woodhall, Simpson.

Referee: A. Sheffield (Walsall)

Attendance: 426

Booked: Briscoe (42), Cowley (50)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack