We have 31 guests online
21 Feb 2009 SLP Mangotsfield United 0-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 21st February 2009

Mangotsfield United 0 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen put their off-field troubles behind them and moved back into a play off place by grinding out a narrow victory at relegation-haunted Mangotsfield.

Matt Clarke marked his return to Halesowen colours with a solid display and goalkeeper Nick Bussey overcame the pain barrier with another spirited performance. But the game was far from a classic with only few chances created at either end in an evenly matched contest.

Halesowen dominated the early exchanges with Richard Shittu heading wide at the back post from Darren Caskey’s 13th minute corner. Garent Bater’s shot was then blocked in Mangotsfield’s first attempt on goal after 34 minutes and striker Mitchell Page was unable to connect from just three yards out after Bussey failed to claim the resulting corner cleanly. Two minutes later, Jean-Black Ngody blasted over the bar for Halesowen.

Mangotsfield’s best chance of a disappointing first half saw James Fitzpatrick cross to Matt Groves, but he dragged his low shot across goal and wide of the post seconds before the interval.

The Yeltz started the second half with more purpose and struck the decisive goal four minutes into the second half when Aaron Cornwall’s deft back heel set up a left wing cross for the unmarked SHITTU to side foot home from close range. A second goal almost followed within two minutes but Dennis Pearce nodded wide from Caskey’s cross.

Mangotsfield improved in the final half hour with Halesowen surviving several late scares. On 61 minutes Ryan Havard's cross from the right was met by new signing and substitute Josh Ford’s header but Bussey made a full length save to parry the ball away low to his left. Minutes later Scott Hendy then glanced a header just wide.

The Yeltz defence cleared an 85th minute corner but the ball was played back into the penalty area for Steven Fitzpatrick to strike the crossbar with Bussey beaten. Neil Arndale’s long free kick then broke for Groves but Bussey made a comfortable save with two minutes remaining.

Mangotsfield United: Clapham; J. Fitzpatrick, Bater, Arndale, Hendy, Barwood, Hobbs (Ford 45), Wilmot, Havard (S. Fitzpatrick 75), Page, Groves. Unused Subs: Pilling, Bennett.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Paul, Allward, Clarke, Pearce, Caskey, Ngody, Denny, Shittu (Lindholm 75), Cornwall, Thomas. Unused Subs: Hamilton, Hall, O’Brien.

Referee: A. Nunn (Trowbridge)

Attendance: 221

Booked: Hobbs (17), Havard (51), Clarke (64), Pearce (80), Caskey (82).

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack