We have 25 guests online
24 Feb 2009 SLP Halesowen Town 2-2 Cambridge City PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Tuesday, 24th February 2009

Halesowen Town 2 Cambridge City 2

Halesowen claimed a useful point against third placed Cambridge in only their third draw from 29 league games in a contest that swung first one way then another.

Cambridge certainly felt they threw away the chance of three vital points in the play-off race after recovering from Halesowen’s early goal to lead 2-1 in the second-half.

The Yeltz took a 9th minute lead when Richard SHITTU did well to collect Jay Denny’s cross from the left and took the ball down before driving past goalkeeper Zac Barrett from 12 yards. Cambridge’s Steve Gentle then headed on for Stephen Smith to loft just over the bar in the 14th minute before Denny poked weakly wide of Cambridge’s post.

Set-piece expert Adrian Cambridge whipped in a 35-yard free-kick but home goalkeeper Nick Bussey did well to tip the ball over the bar for a 20th minute corner. Bussey then saved low down at the foot of his post when unsighted from Stephen Smith’s edge of the area free-kick. For Halesowen, Jean-Black Ngody fired at Barrett in the 23rd minute and Barrett then made a good challenge to stop Shittu on the edge of his area three minutes later.

The Lilywhites continued to keep Bussey busy as they started to control matters and Bussey reacted quickly to turn Neil Midgley’s 33rd minute flick onto the crossbar and away for a corner. Dennis Pearce then headed past Bussey and behind his own goal in defensive confusion. The visitors equalised from Adrian Cambridge’s resulting corner when Steve Gentle headed towards goal for MIDGLEY to slam home into the roof of the net from close range after 39 minutes.

MIDGLEY swept home his second goal to put Cambridge ahead in a similar 51st minute move when another Adrian Cambridge corner was helped on by Lee Chaffey. Chaffey missed a glorious chance to leave Halesowen trailing 3-1 but he put the ball wide in front of goal after 63 minutes - an opportunity the visitors were left to rue.

As the game progressed, Cambridge sat back and played a dangerous game as Halesowen contested the final stages keenly after introducing new Midland Combination signings Paul O’Brien and Stuart Hall.

The Yeltz were finally rewarded with an 83rd minute equaliser when Darren Caskey played the ball through for Tayler THOMAS to flick past Barrett. Aaron Cornwall hit a long range effort at Barrett after 86 minutes and the home defence kept out an 88th minute free-kick conceded by Matt Clarke on the edge of the area.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Paul, Allward, Clarke, Pearce, Caskey, Ngody (O’Brien 58), Denny, Shittu (Hall 75), Cornwall, Thomas. Unused Subs: Lindholm, Hamilton.

Cambridge City: Barrett; Haniver, Krause, Chaffey, M. Smith, S. Smith, Neilson, Cambridge, Gentle, Bloomfield (Nightingale 68), Midgley. Unused Subs: Fuller, Radcliffe, Nunn, Eames.

Referee: S. Bennett (Kidsgrove) 

Attendance: 278

Booked: Denny (42), Neilson (81), Clarke (88)



Joomla Templates by Joomlashack