We have 30 guests online
28 Feb 2009 SLP Halesowen Town 2-2 Chippenham Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 28th February 2009

Halesowen Town 2 Chippenham Town 2

Halesowen were pegged back for a draw by play-off rivals Chippenham after taking an excellent 2-0 lead at the interval. Games between the two sides have a history of exciting twists and turns and this was no exception in a repeat of the contest between last season’s play-off semi-finalists.

In-form Chippenham started brightly with the home defence clearing the danger from Scott Lye’s 10th minute corner. But Halesowen went ahead in the 15th minute when full-back Carl Paul advanced from a midfield position to thread the ball through for Jay DENNY to roll his 10th goal of the season into the corner of the net beyond the reach of goalkeeper Chris Snoddy.

The Bluebirds created several chances in response with Iain Sercombe ballooning over the bar from 20 yards in the 26th minute. Nick Bussey then grabbed an Ashley Williams cross at the second attempt two minutes later and Paul cleared Shaun Lamb’s header from Lye’s 32nd minute corner. Dave Pratt then drove past Bussey’s post in the 33rd minute.

The Yeltz doubled their lead when Darren CASKEY placed a 37th minute penalty kick into the far corner after former Chippenham player Aaron Cornwall was bundled over by visiting goalkeeper Snoddy. The lead could have been increased further just five minutes before the interval when Caskey’s cross found midfielder Paul O’Brien in space in front of goal, but the ball ran away for a corner. Lye’s half-volley then fell inches wide of the Halesowen goal at the end of a competitive first period.

The visitors made a double substitution at the interval in an attempt to recover and Sam Allison’s 47th minute header was cleared off the line as Bussey tried to punch a corner kick clear. At the other end, O’Brien played a neat one-two but was knocked off the ball as he entered the penalty area. But Chippenham continued to make most of the second-half running and a good 63rd minute move saw both strikers Allison and Pratt miss Williams’ cross from the right in front of goal as the ball ran through for Luke Gullick to blast high at the far post.

The Bluebirds finally pulled a goal back in the 69th minute to set up a tense finish when PRATT turned home in the six-yard box after Allison crossed from the right-wing.

Substitute Sean SEAVILL pulled the trigger to smash home the 83rd minute equaliser past Bussey from 20-yards to grab Chippenham’s hard-earned point. Visiting manager Adie Mings explained “We didn’t do much wrong in the first-half but Halesowen punished us twice. I knew we’d create chances and we showed our fighting spirit in the second half. Sean (Seavill) has real ability and his equaliser was a great strike – we could even have gone on to win.”

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Paul, Allward, Clarke, Pearce, Caskey (Ngody 74), O’Brien (Hall 74), Denny, Cornwall, Johnson (Shittu 54), Thomas. Unused Subs: Lindholm, Abassi.

Chippenham Town: Snoddy; Adams, Lamb, Williams, Casey, Martin (Holly 45), Lye, Sercombe (Seavill 45), Pratt, Allison, Gullick (Swallow 77). Unused Subs: Halliday, Gardner.

Referee: C. Rushton (Stone, Staffs.)

Attendance: 468

Booked: Ngody (76)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack