We have 38 guests online
21 Mar 2009 SLP Yate Town 1-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 21st March 2009

Yate Town 1 Halesowen Town 2

Halesowen kept the play-off challenge alive with a morale-boosting win at relegation-threatened Yate.

Ball control was made difficult by a hard, bumpy playing surface and, after a slow start, Paul Metheringham scooped over the bar from Yate’s 8th minute corner.

The visitors had started the game with an empty bench after the late arrival of their substitutes and saw Aaron Cornwall’s 12th minute direct free-kick easily collected by goalkeeper Matthew Lee. Home skipper Ed Vahid then challenged returning striker Justin Rowe to concede a corner a minute later, with Lee grabbing the loose ball. At the other end, Yeltz goalkeeper Nick Bussey dived to save from Aaron Blakemore after central defender Dennis Pearce was dispossessed in the 21st minute.

Halesowen went 1-0 ahead with CORNWALL converting a 25th minute penalty kick after the ball was played in from the right to find Rowe in space and he was brought down by Lee, who was fortunate to only receive a yellow card. Cornwall missed a golden chance to double the lead from a second penalty awarded in the 32nd minute after Jay Denny’s legs were clipped by Sam Duggan, but this time Lee guessed correctly to parry away the spot-kick. However, Lee then escaped after making a hash of James Loney’s deep 38th minute cross by dropping the ball when unchallenged.

A poor Yate outfit improved a little before the interval with lively Blakemore hitting a good 40th minute cross along goal and striking a direct 22-yard free-kick at the defensive wall. Blakemore then turned well to fire over the bar from 10 yards in the 44th minute. It was BLAKEMORE again who equalised seconds before the interval by heading home his captain Vahid’s deep left-wing cross when there seemed to be little danger.

After the break, Tayler Thomas struck just past the Yate post after a run down the right and Yate’s centre-half Neil Ward then nodded just wide from Duggan’s 51st minute free-kick. James Johnson missed a good opportunity to notch Halesowen’s second goal when free on goal, but his poor first touch allowed Lee to claim the ball in the 57th minute.

Halesowen snatched the winner amidst controversy in the 65th minute. Memorable ball trickery from Cornwall near the corner flag won a free-kick and a corner soon followed. The rattled Yate players stopped for an injury to a home player but Cornwall continued to cross from the bye-line following the short corner for substitute Francis WILLIAMS to head home his first Halesowen goal at the far post.

A bunch of Bluebells’ bookings followed after an ensuing series of protests to the referee and a third Halesowen goal almost arrived in the 87th minute when Williams pulled the ball back for Cornwall to slot the ball through to substitute Fabian Brown in front of goal, but Lee did well to turn Brown’s goal-bound effort against the crossbar and away.

Yate Town: Lee; Vahid, Metitiri, White, Ward, Duggan, Blakemore, Woods (Robbins 87), Metheringham (Griffiths 62), Whittington, Smythe (Beadle 68). Unused Subs: Reid, Yeo.

Halesowen Town: Bussey, Loney (Ntolla 75), Allward, Clarke, Pearce, Denny, O’Brien, Cornwall, Rowe (Williams 55), Johnson (Brown 87), Thomas. Unused Subs: None.

Referee: M. Pottage (Wincanton)

Attendance: 183

Booked: Lee (24), Whittington (66), Griffiths (66), Smythe (67), Ward (90)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack