We have 38 guests online
28 Mar 2009 SLP Swindon Supermarine 1-0 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 28th March 2009

Swindon Supermarine 1 Halesowen Town 0

Halesowen’s play-off hopes were dented after a slender defeat allowed rivals Swindon to complete the double and narrow the gap in the race for a top-five finish.

Swindon face a punishing schedule in the final month of the season as they attempt to play catch up and, without a win in four games, forced two corners in the first couple of minutes with Leigh Henry heading wide from Justyn McKay in an otherwise slow start.

Graham Deakin and Aaron Griffiths made impressive Halesowen debuts at Hunts Copse in a game hampered by the swirling wind. Deakin struck just wide for Halesowen from 25 yards in the 17th minute and Mark Draycott then hooked just over the Halesowen bar in the 20th minute after latching onto a clearance from visiting defender Dennis Pearce.

Matt Bulman twice came to Marine’s rescue by saving Aaron Cornwall’s side angled shot in the 31st minute and he repeated the save at his near post to deny Aaron Griffiths a minute later with the resulting corner scrambled clear in a good spell for the Yeltz.

Imposing striker Alan GRIFFIN claimed Swindon’s solitary winning goal in direct style by superbly heading home Nick Stanley’s deep cross from the left in the 34th minute. Before the break, Halesowen had a penalty appeal turned down after claiming the ball had struck Henry’s hand.

Into the second period, Cornwall’s cross just evaded Paul O’Brien in the 50th minute and Joe Harris struck his half-volley just over the Halesowen bar a minute later. Deakin then beat several defenders in an excellent 53rd minute run allowing Francis Williams to earn a corner and Jay Denny forced a 55th minute full length save from Bulman.

McKay’s 20-yard free-kick fizzed just past the Halesowen post in the 58th minute and a minute later Griffin got the better of Pearce to cross along the goal-line from the right with the visiting defence somehow putting the ball over the bar and away for a corner.

Late on, Nick Stanley laid the ball off for Griffin to fire just over the bar and in injury time Draycott rifled a 20-yard shot inches high as Swindon kept their narrow advantage. However, Halesowen maintained the fifth and final play-off spot in the table with teams below them losing and those above all winning.

Swindon Supermarine: Bulman; Boateng, Allen, McKay, Henry, Morris, Harris, Horgan, Griffin, Draycott, N. Stanley. Unused Subs: Hopper, Howell, Edenborough, A. Stanley, Thompson.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Loney (Taylor 85), Allward (Brown 90), Clarke, Pearce, Deakin, Denny, O’Brien, Williams (Johnson 56), Cornwall, Griffiths. Unused Subs: Thomas, Choi.

Referee: G. Muge (Bedfordshire)

Attendance: 238

Booked: Griffin (25), Pearce (25), Draycott (45), Loney (82)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack