We have 24 guests online
11 Apr 2009 SLP Halesowen Town 2-1 Hemel Hempstead Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Saturday, 11th April 2009

Halesowen Town 2 Hemel Hempstead Town 1

Two goals in two minutes midway through the second-half revived Halesowen’s play-off hopes after trailing to a penalty at the interval against fifth-placed Hemel. The visitors have hit a bad patch at a critical stage of the season, giving the Yeltz renewed hope of clinching the final play-off position.

The Tudors rode their early luck as Halesowen were unfortunate to see two attempts strike the framework. Tayler Thomas unleashed a 13th minute pile-driver from 30 yards but the ball bounced back off the crossbar. Ten minutes later, a superb curling effort from Francis Williams from the edge of the area beat goalkeeper Nick Law only to strike the far post. In between, Aaron Cornwall wasted several dead-ball kicks and allowed Hemel to break in the 14th minute with Anthony Thomas feeding Rashid Kamara - but his shot was blocked by the legs of goalkeeper Nick Bussey.

Drew ROBERTS put Hemel 1-0 ahead by slotting home from the penalty spot in the 30th minute after Roberts had been pulled back on the turn by Paul O’Brien in the penalty area. Just before the interval, Daryl Taylor’s 25-yard effort was collected at the second attempt by Law.

Halesowen introduced veteran substitute Duane Darby at the interval to act as a target-man in search of the first goal in four games. Manager Morell Maison was also shown a red-card at the interval and watched the second-half from the terraces. But it was Roberts who was denied twice at the start of the second period when he weaved through to lash inches wide and then saw his curling effort collected by Bussey. Taylor then drove wide from a tight angle in the 50th minute and Darby’s 55th penalty appeal was turned down as the Yeltz revival started to gather momentum.

James Johnson did well down the left and his ball along goal was steered home by DARBY in the six-yard box after 63 minutes. Halesowen then snatched a 2-1 lead with the winning goal just two minutes later when Cornwall chipped from the right for TAYLOR to convert from close range against the rattled visitors.

Cornwall attempted a long-range effort on the Hemel goal from a 71st minute break before visiting substitute Sonny French struck past the Halesowen post in the 80th minute. Johnson’s 25 yard lob landed onto the top of the crossbar as Halesowen hit the framework for the third time in the 81st minute and Law saved low down to deny Johnson again in the next minute.

For Hemel, an 89th minute header from Roberts was straight at Bussey and Bussey kept the vital points safe with a splendid injury time save to turn another Roberts header away for a corner. 

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Loney (Daval 66), Griffiths, Denny, Allward, O’Brien, T. Thomas, Cornwall, Williams (Darby 46), Johnson (Rowe 89), Taylor. Unused Subs: Choi, Gray.

Hemel Hempstead Town: Law; Deeney, Herron, Bowden-Haase, Yeboah, Edgeworth (O’Donnell 68), Wales, Martin, Roberts, A. Thomas, Kamara (French 76). Unused Subs: Butler, Bernard, Youngs.

Referee: E. Smith (Mayford, Surrey)

Attendance: 320

Booked: A. Thomas (14), Deeney (32), Taylor (41), Bowden-Haase (60), Roberts (90), Denny (90).  

Sent Off: Maison (45)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack