We have 25 guests online
13 Apr 2009 SLP Stourbridge 2-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

British Gas Business Football League - Premier Division – Monday, 13th April 2009

Stourbridge 2 Halesowen Town 2

Two late Stourbridge goals effectively ended Halesowen’s play-off hopes in a local derby game of three penalties. Halesowen’s late challenge for a top-five finish seemed to be on course after two penalties from Graham Deakin put them two goals to the good in front of a large Bank Holiday crowd in the Amblecote sunshine.

In early exchanges, visiting goalkeeper Nick Bussey collected James Dyson’s lofted high ball before Halesowen earned two corners in the 6th minute. DEAKIN gave Halesowen a 13th minute lead from the penalty spot after Craig Slater tripped Aaron Cornwall on his run into the penalty area. With Halesowen in charge, Cornwall struck a long range effort at home goalkeeper Lewis Solly in the 15th minute and combined well with Daryl Taylor allowing Deakin to strike wide in the 21st minute. Solly then collected Taylor’s half-volley at the foot of his post after 25 minutes. Duane Darby laid the ball off for Deakin to place his 31st minute effort wide of the upright and James Johnson lobbed at Solly a minute later.

Halesowen’s defence then coped with a corner from Aaron Drake and a trademark long throw-in from Slater before clearing another corner from Les Hines in the 38th minute, following a spell of head tennis. Two minutes before the interval Sam Smith brought down Deakin but Cornwall curled his free-kick over the Stourbridge bar.

At the start of the second period, Stourbridge’s Sam Rock drove high over the bar and Halesowen forced two corners at the other end. As the Glassboys began to enjoy most of the play, Drake missed a good opportunity in front of the Halesowen goal when the ball was played back into the area from Leon Broadhurst’s blocked free-kick. Rock’s 64th minute cross was then headed back by Ashley Langford but Bussey claimed the ball.

But Halesowen seemed to have made the game safe by doubling their lead in the 74th minute when DEAKIN converted another penalty after Justin Rowe was brought down by Sam Smith, following good work by substitute Tayler Thomas.

However, the joy was short-lived as Stourbridge mounted their late revival and pulled a goal back with BROADHURST smashing home yet another penalty in the 77th minute after Halesowen skipper Matt Clarke seemed to be harshly punished for standing his ground in an aerial challenge with Smith. Smith’s 80th minute header was then saved by Bussey at the foot of his post.

Stourbridge grabbed an 84th minute equaliser when Drake’s corner fell for SLATER to hit his top corner shot into the stanchion and break Halesowen’s hearts. In the final couple of minutes, Bussey collected an overhead kick from Broadhurst and then punched away another Drake corner.

Stourbridge: Solly; Rock, Hines (Canavan 72), Collins, Langford (Hadley 72), Dyson, Smith, Broadhurst, Benjamin (Dovey 83), Slater, Drake. Unused Subs: Bridgwater, Mahon.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; O’Brien, Allward (Griffiths 59), Clarke, Denny, Deakin, Johnson, Cornwall, Darby (Thomas 66), Rowe, Taylor. Unused Subs: Williams, Daval, Loney.

Referee: P. Keane (Coseley)

Attendance: 791

Booked: Clarke (4), O’Brien (52)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack