We have 38 guests online
16 Mar 2010 WSCSF Halesowen Town 3-1 Stourbridge PDF Print E-mail

Worcestershire Senior Cup Semi-Final – Tuesday, 16th March 2010

Halesowen Town 3 Stourbridge 1

Halesowen earned a Worcestershire Senior Cup Final fixture against Kidderminster Harriers after overcoming Stourbridge for the third time this season in an exciting local derby semi-final clash.

Unlike the previous meetings, it was Halesowen who started brightly to claim an early goal and bounce back from Saturday’s defeat. Jay DENNY provided the flying start by unleashing a screaming 3rd minute half-volley into goalkeeper Lewis Solly’s top corner to put Halesowen 1-0 ahead.

Home goalkeeper Nick Bussey dived to grab Jimmy Turner’s back header in the 6th minute but as Halesowen kept up the early pressure Alex Cowley crossed for Denny and his goal-bound drive was turned just over the bar by team-mate Turner in front of goal. Scott Rickards was then stopped on his menacing run towards the Stourbridge goal after 11 minutes.

As Stourbridge began to settle, Ryan Rowe laid the ball off for Ben Billingham to screw wide from 15 yards in the 14th minute. For Halesowen, Stefan Moore flicked the ball over goalkeeper Solly in the 20th minute but visiting captain Nathan Bennett was on hand to calmly clear off the line. Seconds later an audacious 35-yard strike from Stephan Morley flew inches past the post. With half an hour on the clock, Rowe planted a good ball across the face of the Halesowen goal.

MOORE doubled Halesowen’s lead in the 32nd minute with his low drive beating Solly from ten yards after latching onto a superbly weighted ball threaded through from midfield by Rickards.

But the Glassboys then enjoyed a good spell and pulled a goal back in the 36th minute when David PLINSTON cracked home another fine strike from the edge of the area. Aaron Drake flicked the ball straight at Bussey in the 38th minute and a snapshot from Bennett rose inches over the home bar a minute later. Halesowen’s Henry Eze tried his own long range effort just before the interval but the ball ballooned way over the bar on its way well down the Stourbridge Road.

Stourbridge continued to search purposefully for an equaliser at the start of the second period with Billingham collecting the ball and side-stepping his marker to shoot inches wide in the 47th minute. Bussey failed to claim Drake’s 53rd minute deep free-kick, leading to a desperate goal-line clearance with appeals for a penalty turned down and Rowe headed another deep cross just wide five minutes later.
Halesowen then took to the attack to force two corners on the hour and Eze did well to win the ball and break forward from midfield in the 65th minute to feed Moore, but he dragged his shot wide. Substitute Aaron Griffiths battled through from the left in the 66th minute but his cross just evaded Danny Edwards in front of goal.

Bussey held Halesowen’s slender advantage by doing just enough to help a long range shot from Daryl Jones just past the post in the 84th minute. Defender Liam Daly then made a last-ditch clearance in the 87th minute and Eze then cleared from Bennett a minute later.

But the Yeltz secured their Cup Final appearance three minutes into stoppage time when a Jones attack broke down allowing the ball to be played forward to leading striker MOORE down the left and he turned his last marker to beat Solly with a low shot to register his 30th goal of the season. There was still time for Rickards to force Solly to tip the ball over the bar with a goal-bound 25-yard shot in the dying seconds.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Cowley (Connor 45), Morley, Daly, Turner (Fulford 71), Denny, Eze, Rickards, Moore, Blenkinsopp (Griffiths 55), Edwards. Unused Sub: Clarke.

Stourbridge: Solly; Rock, Jones, Collins, Spittle (Canavan 74), Bennett, Drake (Dyson 81), Broadhurst, Rowe, Billingham, Plinston (Mahon 67). Unused Sub: Bala.

Referee: W. Barratt (Worcester)

Attendance: 338

Booked: Turner (22), Moore (42), Eze (44)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack