We have 77 guests online
20 Mar 2010 SLP Leamington 2-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 20th March 2010.

Leamington 2 Halesowen Town 2

David McDermott’s injury time goal earned Halesowen a deserved point after two strikes from Leamington’s prolific striker Mark Bellingham had turned the tables on Halesowen’s half-time lead. Halesowen then finished strongly with Leamington playing the final twenty minutes with only ten men following a controversial sending-off.

A large crowd saw an entertaining encounter between the play-off rivals with the league’s leading marksmen Stefan Moore and Bellingham going head-to-head as several former Yeltz players, an ex-manager and even the former Grove floodlights greeted the visitors at the New Windmill.

Playing up the slope in the first-half, Jay Denny’s early 5th minute effort was turned across goal. Leamington’s Bellingham saw his 7th minute shot turned away for a corner by goalkeeper Nick Bussey and Bellingham then planted a free header wide as a second corner was delivered in the 10th minute.

The Yeltz took an important 34th minute lead when MOORE pounced to smash home after he was initially bundled off the ball and the resulting right wing free-kick from Scott Rickards was headed back across goal. With Halesowen in the ascendancy, McDermott teased home full-back Shaun Timmins to earn a 40th minute corner.

But the Brakes reversed their fortunes in a bright start to the second period. Bussey did just enough to touch a long ball away in the 46th minute before Scott Lycett’s back-pass almost let in Moore at the other end.

BELLINGHAM levelled after 49 minutes when he hooked over his head and the ball drifted into the net out of the blue. Leamington netted again a minute later but the effort was ruled out for pushing and Bussey recovered from only partly punching clear to make an acrobatic save to keep out Stuart Herlihy’s 54th minute header.

BELLINGHAM lashed in his second goal with his long range shot beating Bussey to edge Leamington 2-1 ahead on the hour. But the complexion of the game changed again when the home side were reduced to ten men in the 70th minute when Luke Corbett tried to capitalise on a long ball to work through on goal but his challenge on last defender Jamie Hood only earned a straight red card, much to the disapproval of the hosts.

Ten-man Leamington were forced onto the back-foot for the rest of the game and a 77th minute cross from substitute Aaron Griffiths was deflected into the side-netting for a corner. A neat 86th minute move then set up substitute David Blenkinsopp in front of goal but Tony Breeden made a good blocking save. In the gathering gloom, Rickards fired over the bar in the 88th minute.

Halesowen were finally rewarded in the first minute of injury time when Moore did well to keep the ball in play down the left and the ball was played across for McDERMOTT to convert with a deflected shot past Breedon from the edge of the area. In the fourth of seven minutes of added time, Rickards struck just wide from 20 yards.

Leamington: Breeden; Lycett, Timmins (Tuohy 79), Herlihy, Knight, Sanders, Faulds, Jackson, Bellingham (Lewis 72), Corbett, Batchelor. Unused Subs: Husband, McPike, Harris.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Cowley (Morley 89), Hood (Blenkinsopp 81), Turner, Daly, Denny, Eze (Griffiths 58), Rickards, Moore, McDermott, Edwards. Unused Sub: Clarke.

Referee: S. Cook (Lydney, Glos.)

Attendance: 734

Sent Off: Corbett (70)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack