We have 79 guests online
27 Mar 2010 SLP Halesowen Town 2-0 Chippenham Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 27th March 2010

Halesowen Town 2 Chippenham Town 0

Two first-half goals kept Halesowen’s slender play-off hopes alive and ended Chippenham’s 11-game unbeaten sequence.


Defender Jimmy TURNER handed Halesowen the perfect start by putting the home side ahead after just nine minutes by slotting home at the far post after a corner from Scott Rickards was headed on in a crowd of players. Stefan Moore then played a delightfully delicate chip through to Jay Denny in the 15th minute but visiting defender Greg Tindle blocked.

The Bluebirds were given little time in midfield although out of form striker Ben Highmore put two half chances wide and Tindle’s 27th minute long range effort flew over the bar. Alan Griffin then poked just over the bar following a 33rd minute corner by Scott Lye.

But the game generally failed to live up to the expectations of two teams on the play-off fringes and fell short of the heights of previous encounters between the two camps as the Yeltz failed to feature again until extending their lead just two minutes before half-time. MOORE stepped up to convert his 34th goal of the season from the penalty spot after Aaron Griffiths was brought down by a soft challenge from Alex Kite.

Halesowen comfortably held onto their lead during the second period, despite failing to create any further meaningful attempts on goal. Although Chippenham enjoyed more of the play, their toil lacked a cutting edge and failed to get back into the game as the home defence held firm.

Sam Allison drove wide from the edge of the penalty area in the 48th minute and Turner came to the rescue three minutes later with a good interception after Jamie Hood lost the ball. Griffin fired a 25-yard free-kick just over the bar in the 52nd minute and Scott Lye’s free-kick from a similar position was punched clear by Nick Bussey four minutes later. Two Chippenham corners on the hour came to nothing and a stinging 78th minute shot from Tindle was pushed away by Bussey. For Halesowen, an 84th minute shot from Scott Rickards fell wide.

Griffin finally found the net with four minutes remaining after Luke Gullick headed on, but he was ruled offside and in the third minute of stoppage time Bussey cut out Tindle’s dangerous cross.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Turner, Morley, Daly, Hood, Denny, Fowler, Rickards, Moore, Thorpe (Osborne 67), Griffiths (Cowley 73). Unused Subs: Eze, Fulford, Clarke.

Chippenham Town: Gill; Adams, Tindle, Williams, Kite, Casey, Lye, Gullick (Wring 88), Griffin, Highmore (Benison 67), Allison (Davies 64). Unused Subs: Powell, Martin.

Referee: S. Barrow (Tamworth)           

Attendance: 352

Booked: Allison (14), Adams (86)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack