We have 49 guests online
05 Apr 2010 SLP Halesowen Town 1-0 Evesham United PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Monday, 5th April 2010

Halesowen Town 1 Evesham United 0

Halesowen jumped two places back up to seventh in the league table after the Easter Monday fixture was decided in the home side’s favour by a first-half own-goal. But the game’s main talking point was the goal that never was - when Stefan Moore’s 43rd minute strike beat goalkeeper Nathan Vaughan - yet was disallowed when the ball failed to stay in the net, giving the appearance of a miss.

Early on, Nathan Smith struck along the face of the home goal and Halesowen’s defence cleared a couple of troublesome long throw-ins from Kevin Spencer. Nick Bussey collected a long-range effort from Andy Ducros in the 16th minute but then survived dropping Simon Fitter’s corner three minutes later. On the break, Sam Gaughran marked his home debut by crossing for a 20th minute corner with Liam Daly’s header cleared.

The game was settled by the solitary goal in the 20th minute when defender SPENCER connected with a Scott Rickards cross from the right but only succeeded in turning the ball past Vaughan into his own net.

With the Robins needing points to pull away from relegation zone, Danny Lennon’s 23rd minute cross was met by Marcus Palmer but Daly and Jimmy Turner tidied up after the ball squirmed beneath Bussey. Bussey then caught a curling effort from Ducros after half an hour and an audacious long-range lob from Fitter fell wide a minute later.

Evesham almost put through their own goal yet again after 32 minutes but goalkeeper Vaughan made a fine reflex save to keep out a deflection off Zac Costello. Bussey then made a superb reflex save at the other end after Costello met Fitter’s corner with a fine volley.

The first half ended in controversy after Moore appeared to have doubled Halesowen’s lead in the 43rd minute by converting Rickards’ cross on the half-volley from a wide angle. However, the celebrations were cut short when the referee surprised everyone by cancelling the goal after the ball appeared to emerge out from the back of the net and the assistant flagged for a goal-kick.

Straight after the interval Alex Cowley cleared off the line from Lennon and Lennon’s 51st minute shot was saved by Bussey. For Halesowen, Moore struck the side-netting in the 57th minute and Cowley drove over the bar after an hour. Substitute Lee Osborne made a good turn to shoot in the 66th minute with the visiting defence hacking clear and Aaron Griffiths then forced Vaughan into a good save seven minutes later.

Rickards went close to adding a second goal by planting a 76th minute free-kick towards the near post but Fitter cleared off the line with goalkeeper Vaughan deceived, but Vaughan was then well-placed three minutes later to collect another Rickards free-kick from 30 yards. In the closing minutes Ducros curled a free-kick over the Halesowen bar and Osborne headed at Evesham goalkeeper Vaughan from Moore’s injury time cross.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Cowley, Gaughran, Daly, Turner, Denny, Fowler (Eze 69), Rickards, Moore, Smith (Osborne 36), Griffiths. Unused Subs: M. Clarke, Fulford.

Evesham United: Vaughan; Hands, Spencer, Costello, Luckett, Ducros, Fitter, Lennon, Robinson, McKenzie (J. Clarke 69), Palmer. Unused Subs: Woodley, Gould, Styles, Mace.

Referee: K. Hayward (Stoke-on-Trent)

Attendance: 411

Booked: Fitter (45), McKenzie (51), Vaughan (86), Daly (87), Costello (89)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack