We have 99 guests online
15 Aug 2009 SLP Halesowen Town 1-1 Hemel Hempstead Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 15th August 2009

Halesowen Town 1 Hemel Hempstead Town 0

Matt Clarke made a superb start to his Halesowen managerial career after a 72nd minute strike from Stefan Moore proved just enough to secure all three points in the first game of the new season.  But the Grove had an eerie atmosphere with an attendance in single figures as a boycott and peaceful protest led by the Yeltz Trust against the current owners was heeded by most home supporters.

The game looked a tough fixture on paper with Hemel having reached last season's play-offs, but the Tudors disappointed all afternoon despite enjoying most of the play in the first half. In the 9th minute home goalkeeper Nick Bussey made a good save to keep out a flick from Jake Gilbert. James Peagram then touched an 11th minute free-kick on for Lewis Hilliard to drive against the post from 20 yards with Bussey beaten. Adam Bernard beat Stephan Morley down the right after 19 minutes, but Bussey collected before Morley's 29th minute free-kick into the Hemel penalty area was then easily taken by goalkeeper James Hasell at the other end. With Hemel still in control, centre-forward Davis Haule could only dribble his shot wide on the turn in space near the penalty spot on the half-hour. Hilliard did finally net from a 38th minute rebound after Bussey saved from Peagram, but the effort was ruled offside. Five minutes before the interval, Matt Dodds almost stole the ball away from visiting defender Mbiyeye Medine after he hesitated in front of his own goal.

Halesowen lost captain Jamie Smith to injury late in the first half and also introduced substitute James Johnson at the interval. But the game appeared to be heading for stalemate with few further clearcut chances at the start of the second period, although Peagram volleyed high for Hemel and a 66th minute penalty appeal from Dodds was turned down.

But MOORE had other ideas as he advanced down the left of the Hemel area and squeezed a low drive past goalkeeper Hasell in the 72nd minute. The Yeltz almost added a second goal late on when goalkeeper Bussey collected a Hemel corner from Daniel May and his long clearance was met by Johnson, but his lob was just kept out by goalkeeper Hasell.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Smith (Connor 35), Morley, Pearce, Knight, Breward, Dodds, Cooke (Johnson 45), Moore, Rickards, Griffiths. Unused Subs: O’Brien, Teji, Gray(GK).

Hemel Hempstead Town: Hasell; May, Medine, Higgins, Matthew McEntegart, Gilbert, Bernard (St. Hilaire 58), Akers, Haule (Kamara 58), Hilliard, Peagram. Unused Subs: Davis, Taylor, Mike McEntegart.

Referee: A. Parker (Derby)

Attendance: 96

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack