We have 82 guests online
22 Aug 2009 SLP Brackley Town 2-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto Football League Premier Division – Saturday, 22nd August 2009

Brackley Town 2 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen started and ended the game brightly but were unfortunate to be undone by two good Brackley strikes either side of half-time. With Dennis Pearce unavailable, the visitors were forced to re-organise their defence.

Stefan MOORE put the Yeltz ahead after just nine minutes by curling a delightful shot into the top corner from 12 yards.

A 20th minute corner from Scott Rickards then caused home goalkeeper Richard Morris to flap at the ball but his defence scrambled the ball clear. Tom Bates struck a 22 yard free-kick into the home defensive wall and Halesowen remained on top by forcing a further 24th minute corner.

Brackley gradually came to life as the half progressed with Ben Mackey lashing a wide-angled shot past the post in the 25th minute. Mackey could then only plant his free header over the bar from James Anderson’s 37th minute corner.

But the Saints equalised just two minutes before the interval when Mark RAWLE swivelled on the penalty spot to smack home on the half volley after picking up the ball from a Tom Winters cross to register his first goal of the season.

The hosts rung the changes with a double substitution at half-time and Halesowen goalkeeper Nick Bussey was forced into a good reflex save to keep out Mackey’s 54th minute shot. For Halesowen, a 56th minute free-kick from Bates was deflected away and the resulting corner was met by Gary Knight under suspicion of shirt-tugging from a home defender.

WINTERS claimed Brackley’s 64th minute winner when he was put free down the left wing and fired in a 20-yard shot to beat Bussey. Rawle then played the ball into Mackey inside the penalty area but his 68th minute effort spun just wide.

The Yeltz kept plugging away to finish strongly and a 76th minute penalty appeal for handball was turned down before Bates earned a left-wing corner three minutes later. The home defence then survived by scrambling clear a last minute corner from Rickards and in injury time a free kick from Bates just evaded Knight’s head.

Brackley Town: Morris; Green, Spencer (Gould 45), Groves (Sandy 45), McIlwain, Willmott, Anderson, Kearns, Rawle, Mackey, Winters (Brady 82). Unused Subs: Burgess, Goode.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Connor, Griffiths, Knight, Morley, Breward, Cooke (Dodds 61), Rickards, Moore, Barlone (Johnson 70), Bates. Unused Subs: O’Brien, Teji, Gray(GK).

Referee: I. Rathbone (Northampton)

Attendance: 248

Booked: Willmott (24), Barlone (69), Moore (86)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack