We have 87 guests online
28 Oct 2009 SLC1R Halesowen Town 4-1 Cirencester Town PDF Print E-mail

Red Insure Cup 1st Round – Wednesday, 28th October 2009.

Halesowen Town 4 Cirencester Town 0

Halesowen made a comfortable passage through the first round of the Red Insure Southern League Cup with the help of two early and two late goals.

The Yeltz soon forgot their long lay-off  from competitive action and showed their early intentions with David Blenkinsopp earning a 5th minute corner and Cirencester’s Lyndon Tomkins forced to clear for another corner two minutes later.

Tom BATES opened the scoring with his 30-yard shot flying over goalkeeper Adam Clatworthy in the 9th minute. The game effectively ended as a contest just three minutes later when Blenkinsopp threaded the ball through for Stefan MOORE to round goalkeeper Clatworthy and slot home to double the lead with his 13th goal of the season. As the game threatened to turn into an avalanche of Yeltz goals, Blenkinsopp’s 14th minute header rebounded off the crossbar and his 20th minute effort from the right was blocked by Clatworthy for another corner. Moore was then denied in front of goal in the 27th minute.

James Robbins was first to test home goalkeeper Nick Bussey with a long range 28th minute effort but the Centurions’ cause became bleaker still when Tomkins was shown a straight red card for hauling down Moore as he broke through the defensive line 35 yards out from goal in the 33rd minute. The frustrated visitors enjoyed a spell of neat play but lacked an end-product and only succeeded in picking up further bookings before Ryan Parker’s 40th minute shot from the left was kept out by Bussey at the foot of his post.

But ten-man Cirencester failed to buckle and held the score at 2-0 for almost 70 minutes as the second half started slowly with few chances at either end. After a series of substitutions Blenkinsopp finally put the ball in the Cirencester net again in the 69th minute, only to see his effort disallowed as he received a booking for the hefty challenge on goalkeeper Clatworthy.

Halesowen then added two further goals in the final ten minutes. MOORE had the simple task of claiming his second of the game in front of goal in the 81st minute after Blenkinsopp’s header hit the inside of the far post from a right wing corner. Two minutes into stoppage time, defender Stefan MORLEY found the final touch from close range in a goalmouth scramble after goalkeeper Clatworthy failed to collect another right-wing corner.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Smith, Griffiths, Morley, Hood, Denny (O’Brien 85), S. Johnson (Breward 58), Rickards, Moore, Blenkinsopp, Bates (J. Johnson 65). Unused Subs: Eze, Reji.

Cirencester Town: Clatworthy; Corcoran, Pritchett, Griffiths, Ward, Tomkins, Reid (Thompson 80), Etheridge, Robbins, Griffin (Miller 58), Parker. Unused Subs: Bevan.

Referee: S. Plane (Pershore)

Attendance: 195

Booked: Etheridge (22), Reid (33), Ward (39), Blenkinsopp (69)

Sent Off: Tomkins (33)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack