We have 93 guests online
02 Dec 2009 SLC2R Halesowen Town 1-2 Nuneaton Town PDF Print E-mail

Red Insure Cup 2nd Round – Wednesday, 2nd December 2009

Halesowen Town 1 Nuneaton Town 2

Halesowen’s exit from the Red Insure Southern League Cup marked the end of a ten-game unbeaten run.

A direct free-kick from home skipper Scott Rickards was tipped away by Nuneaton goalkeeper Darren Acton in the 6th minute with Craig Connor nodding the rebound back into Acton’s arms.

Simon Johnson then made a good run down the right to cross in the 9th minute but a dreary first-half period produced little excitement to keep the sparse Grove crowd warm.

A neat Nuneaton build-up involving Stuart Pierpoint, Paul Spacey and Adam Walker lead to Rob Foster’s cross being cut out in the 19th minute and Foster then shot straight at home goalkeeper Nick Bussey six minutes later.

David Blenkinsopp struck the outside of the Nuneaton post against his former club after collecting a lay-off from Stefan Moore in the 26th minute and Danny Edwards struck an effort over the Nuneaton bar just before the interval.

The Boro took the lead in the 47th minute when Walker took advantage of a defensive slip to play the ball for ex-Sky Blues midfielder THORNTON to place the ball home on his debut beyond Bussey.

Johnson curled just high for below-par Halesowen after 56 minutes and goalkeeper Acton raced out of goal to be first to the ball before Edwards seven minutes later. Blenkinsopp was forced wide with Acton out of position in the 66th minute but his cross found Moore crowded out by the visiting defence. Veteran Nuneaton goalkeeper Acton then made a good reaction save to keep out Johnson’s 79th minute flick after he was put through by Moore.

Substitute Justin MARSDEN was left in space to double Nuneaton’s lead in the 84th minute after fellow substitutes Levi Ramsay and Lee Moore combined well.

However, Jamie HOOD was left in space to hit an 89th minute reply past Acton for Halesowen after collecting a cross from the right. But it proved too little, too late although Rickards headed over the bar in injury time from substitute Aaron Griffiths’ corner.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Connor, Morley, Daly, Hood, Denny, Johnson, Rickards, S. Moore, Blenkinsopp (Breward 68), Edwards (Griffiths 74). Unused Subs: O’Brien, Smith, Eze.

Nuneaton Town: Acton; Oddy, Matthews, Walker, Dean, Pierpoint, Thornton (Marsden 74), Spacey, Dillon (Ramsay 82), Foster (L. Moore 75), Hadland. Unused Sub: Gillard.

Referee: N. Radford (Worcester)

Attendance: 175

Booked: Thornton (55), Pierpoint (78), Moore (81)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack