We have 43 guests online
28 Nov 2009 SLP Halesowen Town 1-1 Tiverton Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 28th November 2009.

Halesowen Town 1 Tiverton Town 1

Halesowen had to settle for a point after being ahead for the fourth league game in five but still extended their unbeaten run to ten games with Danny Edwards and Liam Daly making encouraging debut appearances.

The Yeltz also kept up their record of scoring in every league game, although well organised Tiverton proved a tough nut to crack under long-term manager Martyn Rogers, despite being in the relegation zone.

New signing Edwards made an impressive debut and worked a 5th minute corner for central defender Henry Eze to head onto the top of the Tiverton bar after the defence failed to clear their lines. Edwards then nodded just wide from Jay Denny’s 11th minute cross and goalkeeper Steve Book dealt with two long range efforts from Tom Breward.

Home goalkeeper Nick Bussey came to the rescue by racing out of goal to clear from Joe Bushin after Eze sliced his clearance midway through a first half of few clearcut chances. Edwards then just failed to connect cleanly with a quickly taken short free-kick from Scott Rickards after Edwards was hauled down by Matt Bye and Rickards powered a rising 25-yard drive just over the bar in the 33rd minute. After 34 minutes Stefan Moore was denied by Book and Daly headed wide from the resulting corner.

The best chance of the first half fell in the 38th minute when a terrific drive from Jamie Smith from the right struck the top of the Tiverton post and rebounded into safety. Tiverton’s Colin Marshall made a fine run from midfield through the heart of Halesowen’s defence for Alex Faux to cross along goal just before the interval.

With Halesowen still struggling to find a decisive breakthrough at the start of the second half, Book punched a 53rd minute corner clear and Simon Johnson flashed along goal after an hour. Manager Matt Clarke then decided on a double substitution but it was Bussey who clawed the ball away for a corner to keep out Mike Booth’s curling effort in the 65th minute.

With the game drifting towards stalemate, the Yeltz finally broke down Tiverton’s stiff resistance in the 70th minute when EDWARDS headed home at the far post from Denny’s left wing cross. Substitute David Blenkinsopp then screwed wide in the 78th minute after being set up by Johnson.

But Halesowen once again failed to hold their vital and promising lead as Tiverton snatched an 82nd minute equaliser when lively substitute Eliott Frear crossed from the left for BUSHIN to turn home from close range.

An uncharacteristically quiet Moore headed just wide in the 89th minute and Rickards fired an injury time effort at Book as Halesowen searched for a late winner.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Smith, Daly, Eze (Morley 61), Hood, Breward (Blenkinsopp 61), Denny, Rickards, Moore, Johnson, Edwards. Unused Subs: O’Brien, Connor, Clarke.

Tiverton Town: Book; Bye (Malsom 70), Alex Faux, Adam Faux, Rudge, Gardner, Hatch, Booth, Mortimer (Frear 74), Bushin, Marshall. Unused Subs: Saunders, Humphreys, Wannell.

Referee: S. England (Lichfield)

Attendance: 322

Booked: Marshall (21), Bye (28), Adam Faux (60), Johnson (72), Denny (74)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack