We have 45 guests online
09 Dec 2009 SLP Halesowen Town 1-1 Merthyr Tydfil PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Wednesday, 9th December 2009.

Halesowen Town 1 Merthyr Tydfil 1

David Blenkinsopp’s equaliser two minutes into injury time rescued Halesowen’s unbeaten home league record and preserved their tally of scoring in every league game.

The match was drifting towards a dull stalemate until Merthyr substitute Marcus Griffiths put the visitors ahead with only three minutes remaining to spark a frantic final few minutes.

But there was little to cheer for a stodgy first hour in which the Martyrs created the better chances and Halesowen failed to click for long spells. Scott Armitage shot at Halesowen goalkeeper Chris Kiely in the 11th minute and two minutes later Kiely marked his home debut by turning away another fierce drive from Armitage for a corner.

For Halesowen, Liam Daly hit a half chance wide after 21 minutes and Scott Rickards put Blenkinsopp through in the 28th minute but the striker slipped on the damp surface allowing goalkeeper Andrew Delve to collect. Kris Leek’s 29th minute shot was turned over the bar by Daly for a 29th minute Merthyr corner and Steve Williams struck the side-netting from the right in the 32nd minute. Just before the interval Paul Keddle turned well to hit a 25-yard drive just past the Yeltz post.

At the start of the second half, Carl Palmer struck wide on his Halesowen debut in a crowded goalmouth and Armitage volleyed wide of the mark at the other end. Armitage then volleyed wildly wide when well placed after an hour.

Merthyr created the best chance of the game to date in the 65th minute when Keddle met Tariq Kalil’s corner but his header rattled back off the crossbar. Merthyr’s defence then survived a 72nd minute corner after Delve flapped at Henry Eze’s header with Blenkinsopp’s follow-up effort cleared off the line and substitute Simon Johnson nodding the second rebound over the bar. Substitute Aaron Griffiths set up Stefan Moore to flash a low shot wide in the 78th minute and Moore hit along goal from the right a minute later.

Marcus GRIFFITHS appeared to have handed Merthyr all three points when his speculative 87th minute shot took a fortunate deflection to loop into the net beyond stranded goalkeeper Kiely. But the goal proved the catalyst for Halesowen to pour forward. The visiting defence survived two 88th minute corners and Delve then managed to block a powerful Eze header from Johnson’s 90th minute free-kick.

BLENKINSOPP finally saved the day when he smashed home from close range after Moore did well to beat the last defender to the ball and round goalkeeper Delve before selflessly squaring the ball across goal two minutes into stoppage time.

Halesowen Town: Kiely; Smith (Connor 77), Morley, Daly, Eze, Palmer (Johnson 58), Denny, Rickards, Moore, Blenkinsopp, Edwards (A. Griffiths 77). Unused Subs: O’Brien, Breward.

Merthyr Tydfil: Delve; Williams, Dorrian, Belle, Rewbury (Hartshorn 85), Clarke, Khalil, Leek, Shephard (M. Griffiths 80), Armitage, Keddle. Unused Subs: Morgan, Gregory, Yanez.

Referee: R. Lovegrove MBE (Redditch)

Attendance: 291

Booked: Eze (33), Dorrian (37), Clarke (57), Williams (64), Belle (89)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack