We have 96 guests online
12 Dec 2009 SLP Didcot Town 1-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 12th December 2009.

Didcot Town 1 Halesowen Town 2

Stefan Moore’s late winner extended Halesowen’s long unbeaten run in a deserved win against hard-working Didcot.  Indeed, had Halesowen not had ten points deducted for entering administration, the win would’ve put Halesowen on top of the league table, although admittedly having played more games than their peers.

The Yeltz were late arriving due to heavy M40 traffic on their first visit to Didcot’s npower Loop Meadow Stadium, sporting their newly sponsored Hayley Green Commercials shirts.

Moore almost put Halesowen ahead as early as the 11th minute when gifted the ball from a slip by goalkeeper Matt Trott, but the leading striker paused too long and both he and David Blenkinsopp found themselves crowded out as the home defence regrouped. Simon Johnson’s 16th minute cross was then cut out following a neat one-two and two minutes later Aaron Griffiths’ good run resulted in a corner.

As the Railwaymen signalled their own intentions, Griffiths was then on hand to clear Michael Bartley’s shot off the line in the 20th minute and Phil John curled a 23rd minute effort just past the Yeltz upright from the left.

But as Halesowen asserted their authority, commanding defender Henry Eze saw his 25th minute shot held by Trott and Moore was denied by Trott after latching onto a long ball two minutes later. Trott was in action again to make a fine 38th minute save when Jay Denny was put through before collecting Liam Daly’s header from Johnson’s 39th minute corner.

Trott then grabbed a 20-yard effort from Danny Edwards in the 41st minute but it was stalwart home defender Jamie Heapy who cleared Blenkinsopp’s shot off the line after the home defence cleared Daly’s header in the dying seconds of a first half controlled by Halesowen.

Goals always looked on the cards, although Halesowen continued to lack the killer blow early in the second half as Edwards got the better of three defenders only to steer wide.

But the Railwaymen looked on track to open the scoring in the 68th minute when John struck over a gaping goal following good work from Bartley down the left. Michael Alexis then nodded just wide seconds later.

In exciting exchanges, Scott Rickards was alert to take a 69th minute free-kick quickly and found Moore free but he was denied by Trott and Moore’s 70th minute shot was blocked with Edwards heading the loose ball at Trott.

The Railwaymen’s resilience finally hit the buffers when EDWARDS was left unchallenged to head home in the six yard box directly from Johnson’s 73rd minute corner.

But Mark DRAYCOTT levelled for Didcot in the 83rd minute by turning to fire past Chris Kiely from 15 yards.

Any hopes of the Railwaymen being on track for a draw ended when Halesowen made their overall dominance pay with Moore’s 22nd goal of the season. Denny capitalised on a poor clearance to gain possession in midfield, exchanged neat passes with Johnson and lofted the ball over advancing goalkeeper Trott with the ball falling for MOORE to slot the winner home from a wide angle.

The Yeltz defence held firm to clear a couple of late corners with Draycott also rifling high from 25 yards as the Railwaymen reached the end of the line.

Didcot Town: Trott, Costello, Jack (Hopkins 55), Mortimer-Jones, Heapy, Stanley, John, Alexis, Bartley (Concannon 79), Draycott, Williams. Unused Subs: Brown, Bruce.
Halesowen Town: Kiely; Smith, Griffiths, Eze, Daly, Denny, Johnson, Rickards, Moore, Blenkinsopp, Edwards. Unused Subs: Connor, O'Brien, Morley, Clarke, Flower.

Referee: O. Saliy

Attendance: 204

Booked: Moore (90)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack