We have 103 guests online
23 Jan 2010 SLP Halesowen Town 1-1 Farnborough PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 23rd January 2010.

Halesowen Town 1 Farnborough 1

Halesowen returned to action for the first time in a month to share the points with runaway league leaders Farnborough in an evenly matched contest.  Alex Cowley finally made his debut for this season but Halesowen were without suspended Jay Denny in a stern test against the in-form and match-ready visitors. But Farnborough made life difficult for themselves by being forced to play nearly all the game with ten men after Stephen Robinson was sent off.

In the dramatic opening the Farnborough skipper was shown the red card in the 2nd minute after bringing down last man Stefan Moore right on the edge of the penalty area after he was beaten for pace in latching onto a long clearance. However, Scott Rickards could only blast the resulting centrally placed free-kick straight at the defensive wall. The visitors immediately sacrificed leading striker Dean McDonald and introduced James Smith to bolster their central defence.

Farnborough then cleared two early crosses from both Simon Johnson and Cowley and Liam Daly glanced a header at goalkeeper Stuart Robinson from Johnson’s 10th minute free-kick. As Farnborough showed their title credentials, Daryl McMahon’s free-kick was juggled and finally dug-out by Edwards and Stephan Morley cleared off the line from Jack King in the 13th minute as goalkeeper Nick Bussey failed to claim the ball. But Bussey then made a fine reflex save to touch Bradley Bubb’s 15th minute overhead kick onto the post and away into safety.

As Halesowen tried to break down the well organised visiting defence a 23rd minute snapshot from Moore was deflected just wide for a corner.

Farnborough edged into a 29th minute lead when BUBB headed down firmly into the net at the far post from McMahon’s right wing cross. But the Yeltz were back on level terms just six minutes later when Cowley did well to trap Edwards’ cross at the base of the post and Stuart Robinson’s good save could only divert the ball into the path of JOHNSON and he slotted home from 12 yards out.

At the start of an intriguing second period Cowley blazed high following a neat passing move. Johnson then set himself up nicely but could only strike the good chance into the side-netting in the 53rd minute. Two minutes later Edwards made an excellent run but his cross was cleared and Edwards then ballooned the ball over the bar from a 64th minute Rickards free-kick. Daly then headed on a long throw from Cowley to cause anger in the opposition penalty area after 66 minutes. At the other end, Bussey did well to gather the ball low down from Boro substitute Craig Dobson in the 68th minute.

Johnson thought he’d won the game for Halesowen by hitting into the roof of the net in the 70th minute after initial efforts from Johnson and Edwards were blocked, but his effort was ruled out for offside. With seven minutes remaining Johnson skipped into the Farnborough penalty area only to fire over the bar again as Halesowen failed to find a decisive breakthrough.

Cowley’s 90th minute cross was hacked clear but at the final whistle both teams could draw positives from a result that preserved both Halesowen’s unbeaten home record and Farnborough’s unbeaten away record.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Connor, Morley, Hood, Daly, Palmer, Johnson, Rickards (Blenkinsopp 70), Moore, Cowley, Edwards (Griffiths 83). Unused Subs: Eze, Jamie Smith, Clarke.

Farnborough: Stuart Robinson; Stevens, Ciardini, King, Stephen Robinson, Doyle, McMahon, Holloway, Ibe, McDonald (James Smith 4), Bubb (Dobson 59). Unused Subs: Price, Wormull, Hopkinson.

Referee: K. Hayward (Stoke-on-Trent)

Attendance: 516

Booked: Rickards (20), Morley (33), Daly (81), Cowley (84), Connor (90)

Sent Off: Stephen Robinson (2)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack