We have 117 guests online
26 Jan 2010 SLP Halesowen Town 2-2 Clevedon Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Tuesday, 26th January 2010.

Halesowen Town 2 Clevedon Town 2

Halesowen extended their unbeaten league run to an impressive fourteen games but had to settle for disappointing draw after twice taking the lead against struggling Clevedon.

The visitors started brightly and went close twice within the first five minutes with captain Ellis Wilmot hitting a screaming 30 yard drive inches over the bar and Craig Loxton driving just wide from 20 yards.

But the Yeltz took a 7th minute lead as Carl PALMER stooped low down to head home his first goal of the season for Halesowen from Danny Edwards’ right wing corner. However, Clevedon equalised just two minutes later with LOXTON drilling home from the edge of the penalty area after receiving the ball from a Matt Walsh corner as Halesowen took their eye off the ball.

Both Palmer and Henry Eze went close in the 14th minute as Halesowen forced three consecutive corners and in the 18th minute Simon Johnson struck a good opportunity wide from an incisive left wing cross from Scott Rickards.

The Seasiders played their part in the end-to-end action to earn a 21st minute corner with Gary Colborne’s flick causing danger. Loxton then made a terrific run into the home penalty area but firstly Pete Sheppard sliced the ball and secondly Nana Baah somehow poked wide at the far post from just three yards out with the goal at his mercy.

PALMER regained Halesowen’s lead with his second goal of the game in the 34th minute aided by more than a hint of fortune when his 20 yard shot deflected off the Clevedon defence to leave goalkeeper Danny Greaves stranded all at sea.

Plenty of further chances were created after the half-time break with Edwards unfortunate to see his 50th minute header rebound off the base of the Clevedon post into safety. Clevedon’s danger man Loxton fired in two long range efforts with Eze tidying up after Yeltz goalkeeper Nick Bussey could only push the ball out.

The Seasiders equalised for a second time with the best move of the game to leave Halesowen sheepish as SHEPPARD exchanged passes with Baah and drilled into the bottom corner in the 55th minute to claim a vital relegation point.

As the Yeltz tried to respond, Liam Daly saw his 57th minute shot cleared off the Clevedon line. At the other end, Sheppard fired just past the post and Bussey parried a long range effort away from Walsh. Alex Cowley then made a crucial 77th minute challenge to take the ball off Sheppard’s toe in front of goal.

The Yeltz made three substitutions and created several late chances in an attempt to re-gain the lead. Substitute David Blenkinsopp struck over the bar after 83 minutes and goalkeeper Greaves dropped a long free-kick a minute later. But Greaves confidently clutched an 89th minute corner from Edwards and then did well to save a 90th minute shot from Edwards in a crowded goalmouth.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Connor (Denny 65), Morley, Eze (Griffiths 80), Daly, Palmer, Johnson, Rickards (Blenkinsopp 75), Moore, Cowley, Edwards. Unused Subs: Thorpe, Clarke.

Clevedon Town: Greaves; Townley, Walsh, Colborne (Evans 76), Barnes, Wilmot, Hartnup (Hartland 76), Loxton, Baah, Cowan (Romdhane 88), Sheppard.

Referee: S. Bennett (Stoke-on-Trent)

Attendance: 242

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack