We have 120 guests online
30 Jan 2010 SLP Bedford Town 1-1 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 30th January 2010.

Bedford Town 1 Halesowen Town 1

Halesowen’s third draw of the week extended their unbeaten league run to fifteen games in an even contest at the Eyrie.  Bedford had slipped into the bottom four in the past week and Halesowen ran out comfortable 4-1 winners in the reverse fixture back in September but the Yeltz suffered a blow just before the kick-off when centre-back Jamie Hood was taken ill.

However, the Yeltz still made a perfect start with an early strike in only the 2nd minute of the game. Simon Johnson’s floated corner from the left was headed on by Liam Daly for David BLENKINSOPP to flick the ball into the net on the goal-line.

Bedford’s Rob Miller fired a low shot wide from 20 yards after nine minutes and centre-half Stuart Wall headed Jamie Cole’s corner over the bar six minutes later. With 18 minutes gone, Craig Daniel surged into the penalty area but his shot was deflected behind by Aaron Griffiths and, from the resultant Cole corner, Wall fired a shot over the bar.

Halesowen still looked dangerous on the attack although Jon Darby kept Stefan Moore at bay for most of the afternoon. Midway through the first period Scott Rickards' cross from the right caught out the Bedford defence and found Danny Edwards, but his header sailed over the bar after he beat goalkeeper Michael Armitt to the ball.

Three minutes before the break, Cole’s 25-yard free-kick over the Yeltz defensive wall forced a fine save from Nick Bussey low down at his post. But Bedford equalised in the 43rd minute when Callum LEWIS curled a 25-yard shot into the top right hand corner of the net, giving Bussey no chance.

The Eagles were forced into a change at half time with substitute goalkeeper Michael Kavanagh replacing the injured Armitt between the sticks. Kavanagh was nearly straight into action just 30 seconds into the second half, but centre-half Darby’s crucial last-ditch tackle denied Edwards.

With 56 minutes gone, Griffiths rescued Halesowen after Bussey saved Ian Draycott’s tame shot and his stabbed attempt at the second bite of the cherry was acrobatically cleared off the line by Griffiths. Leading striker Draycott went even closer after 61 minutes when he played a 1-2 with Junior McDougald but Bussey managed a faint touch with a full length dive to deflect the ball onto the post and away. Two minutes later a 20-yard shot from Alex Cowley went just wide of Bedford’s right hand post.

Halesowen applied late pressure in search of a winner and a half clearance allowed Johnson to shoot just wide through a crowded penalty area. In injury time Halesowen substitute Henry Eze planted a long ball forward and Jay Denny took advantage of a poor clearance but Kavanagh held onto his low shot to secure Bedford’s vital relegation point.

Bedford Town: Armitt (Kavanagh 45); Hole, Lawley, Miller (P. Draycott 74), Darby, Wall, Daniel, Lewis, McDougald (George 90), I. Draycott, Cole. Unused Subs: Field, Peacock.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Cowley (Connor 64), Morley, Griffiths (Eze 74), Daly, Denny, Johnson, Rickards, Moore, Blenkinsopp (Thorpe 64), Edwards. Unused Subs: Smith, Clarke.

Referee: M. Blackledge (Peterborough)

Attendance: 268

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack