We have 91 guests online
06 Feb 2010 SLP Hednesford Town 2-2 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Saturday, 6th February 2010.

Hednesford Town 2 Halesowen Town 2

Hard-working Halesowen were cruelly denied all three points by Hednesford’s deflected equaliser with just fifteen seconds of normal play remaining.

The result means Halesowen have become labelled as the Zamaretto Premier’s draw specialists following four consecutive draws in 2010 and a total of nine draws in the last thirteen league outings since last meeting Hednesford. New signing Jimmy Turner made his debut in the centre of the Yeltz defence as Halesowen once again shared points after being in front in a repeat of the final score from the earlier encounter with Hednesford at the Grove.

The first half was keenly contested and, after early midfield skirmishes, it took until the 10th minute for the first real chance when Carl Palmer burst forward to lay the ball off for Stefan Moore to cross. Experienced Hednesford goalkeeper Stuart Brock dropped the ball allowing David Blenkinsopp to set up Scott Rickards, but his shot was cleared off the line by Cheyenne Dunkley.

A minute later Brock was at fault again when he fumbled Palmer’s shot from the edge of the area and BLENKINSOPP was on hand to roll the ball into the net at the second attempt to put Halesowen 1-0 ahead.

The Pitmen earned a 17th minute corner when goalkeeper Nick Bussey couldn’t quite prevent the ball from going behind but Liam Daly easily nodded clear from Sam Adkins. Battling Palmer then fired another effort at Brock in the 19th minute and at the other end Bussey palmed away for a corner from Aaron Gibson’s shot on the turn.

The hosts went close in the 24th minute when Tyrone Barnett’s right-wing cross was met by Zak Martin but Bussey made a fine save and Turner hacked the loose ball clear. However, the Pitmen leveled as the ball was played back into the Halesowen penalty area from the 25th minute throw-in with BARNETT stabbing home in a goalmouth scramble with the ball looping beyond Bussey.

But undaunted Halesowen went straight back on the attack to regain the lead within a minute when Stephan Morley’s long free-kick was missed by the home defence and TURNER struck at the back post to mark his debut in fine style after 26 minutes.

As the cracking first-half contest continued, Brock again looked less than convincing in claiming Rickards’ long 32nd minute free-kick and just before the interval a corner from Hednesford’s Adkins flew across the face of the Yeltz goal.

At the start of the second period Hednesford’s Darren Alexander headed wide and Halesowen’s Daly helped on Morley’s free-kick but Palmer fired over the bar. Ross Dyer broke forward for the home side in the 64th minute before driving wide and two minutes later Turner rescued Halesowen with a great blocking challenge to deny Dyer again in another hard-fought half.

Committed Halesowen held firm inspired by an outstanding performance from Daly in the heart of defence but also created further chances as a 74th minute Rickards cross just evaded Moore to drift past the post. Substitute Tony Thorpe then lobbed wide seconds later. Skilful trickery from Danny Edwards saw him cross to Palmer in the 79th minute but the ball was deflected wide with Daly heading the resulting corner at Brock. With 88 minutes on the clock, Hednesford were awarded a dangerous free-kick on the edge of the penalty area but substitute Elliott Durrell curled the ball wide.

But just as it seemed the Yeltz had done more than enough to secure the three points, ADKINS picked up the loose ball from another Hednesford free-kick and his 20 yard drive through a crowded goalmouth took a heart-breaking deflection to leaving unlucky Bussey unsighted to make it 2-2.

Hednesford Town: Brock; Platt, Gibson, Bailey, Dunkley, Gomes, Martin (Durrell 57), Alexander, Barnett, Dyer (Proffitt 72), Adkins. Unused Subs: Goodhead, Flynn, Chapman.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Cowley (Connor 84), Morley, Turner, Daly, Denny, Palmer, Rickards, Moore, Blenkinsopp (Thorpe 73), Edwards. Unused Subs: Griffiths, Eze, Clarke.

Referee: M. Howes (Solihull)

Attendance: 504

Booked: Palmer (23), Gibson (71), Platt (77), Turner (81)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack