We have 117 guests online
09 Feb 2010 SLP Evesham United 0-0 Halesowen Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Tuesday, 9th February 2010.

Evesham United 0 Halesowen Town 0

Halesowen’s frustrating sequence of draws continued after being held to a stalemate at Evesham’s temporary St. George’s Lane home in Worcester.

But one impressive record did come to an end as the Yeltz were unable to capitalise on their dominance to break down the resolute Evesham defence and consequently failed to score in a league game for the first time this season.

The Robins started brightly with Zac Costello’s far post header earning a corner and Marcus Palmer forced another corner in the 16th minute against a changed Halesowen defence.

David Blenkinsopp had a hat-trick of chances as the Yeltz settled mid-way through the first half. Scott Rickards squared the ball from the right in the 20th minute to create space but Blenkinsopp delayed too long before attempting to shoot and the good opportunity was lost. Blenkinsopp then flashed a 25th minute shot just wide and his third effort within six minutes was blocked shortly afterwards.

In the 40th minute Jay Denny played the ball out of defence and Stefan Moore did well to cut inside from the right to create a clear sight on goal, only to slash his shot well wide from 12 yards out. As the first half drew to a close Evesham’s Marcus Palmer struck just past Nick Bussey’s post.

The Yeltz continued to enjoy more of the ball and create the majority of chances after the break although Evesham provided more than a match with their hard work. A 50th minute cross from Danny Edwards was too near to home goalkeeper Nathan Vaughan before the visiting defence then cleared from James Cooper after he was set up from Mark Hands’ 54th minute free-kick.

Costello did just enough after an hour to cut out a through ball from Rickards targeted at Moore and goalkeeper Vaughan collected a low drive from Rickards four minutes later. Vaughan then easily grabbed Denny’s 76th minute cross.

The pace intensified in the final minutes as both teams searched for a late winner. An 82nd minute free-kick from Cooper was taken off Palmer’s head by Bussey and a minute later Palmer evaded several challenges to put himself clear but then drove wide. The lively finish continued when Halesowen’s Edwards crossed dangerously along goal from a quickly taken 86th minute free-kick but the ball bounced off a home defender into Vaughan’s arms with Moore lurking at the far post.

The Yeltz defence cleared a 90th minute corner earned by substitute Danny Lennon but the game’s last chance fell to Halesowen on the break when Edwards hit well wide with better options available.

Evesham United: Vaughan; Cooper, S. Hands, Hodnett, Costello, Lutz, Hyde, Hayden, Palmer, M. Hands, McKenzie (Lennon 73). Unused Subs: Gould, Findlay, Styles, Mace.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Connor, Hood, Turner, Daly, Denny, Palmer (Cowley 62), Rickards, Moore, Blenkinsopp (Thorpe 70), Edwards. Unused Subs: Griffiths, Morley, Eze.

Referee: A. Sheffield (Walsall)

Attendance: 166

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack