We have 104 guests online
23 Feb 2010 SLP Halesowen Town 3-2 Nuneaton Town PDF Print E-mail

Zamaretto League Premier Division – Tuesday, 23rd February 2010.

Halesowen Town 3 Nuneaton Town 2

Halesowen moved into a top five spot and increased their unbeaten league run to twenty games by overcoming play-off contenders Nuneaton. The third straight win, scoring eleven goals in the process, saw Halesowen draw level on points with Nuneaton.

After a late 8.10pm kick-off due to earlier driving snow, the players made a hesitant start on the still slippery surface and the first chance was created when Halesowen’s Danny Edwards broke down the left, although his 16th minute cross evaded his fellow forwards. Stefan Moore’s 20th minute effort from the right was then parried away by visiting goalkeeper Darren Acton. Two minutes later, Nuneaton’s Rob Foster came close to intercepting Jamie Hood’s square pass along the Halesowen back line.

With Halesowen on top, Alex Cowley’s 29th minute shot struck his own player Scott Rickards before a shot from James Armson fell into the arms of Nick Bussey at the other end.

With the Yeltz applying increasing pressure, Cowley’s 33rd minute free-kick was headed on by Hood for Moore to strike just wide. Simon Forsdick scooped the ball over his own bar and Jimmy Turner headed just over the bar as Halesowen forced their third consecutive corner.

Halesowen’s dominance finally paid dividends with an opening 39th minute goal when Turner headed on a right wing corner and, as Acton failed to hold the ball, TURNER followed up to bury the ball into the net. A minute later Edwards broke free again down the left but defensive duo Gareth Dean and Stuart Pierpoint completed a fine defensive block. From the resulting corner Moore just failed to connect cleanly.

However, the Yeltz increased their lead seconds before the interval when Carl Palmer’s shot deflected into the path of MOORE down the left and he confidently drilled home his 28th goal of the season to make it 2-0.

Nuneaton started the second half with more intent and created several good chances. Kyle Storer hit a 50th minute free-kick straight at Bussey and Armson’s effort fell wide three minutes later. The visitors went closer still when Pierpoint’s 55th minute punt up the field caused indecision between Turner and Bussey but the goalkeeper eventually grabbed the ball despite a penalty appeal by Armson – who only collected a yellow card for his troubles.

The visitors finally pulled a goal back after 58 minutes when Chris DILLON flashed home a header from Storer’s free-kick. In more even exchanges, Acton then saved from Rickards and Bussey saved from Forsdick.

Halesowen were given breathing space by restoring their two goal advantage when substitute Aaron GRIFFITHS purposefully connected with a ball from the right to hammer home from the edge of the penalty area to register his first goal of the season and his first goal for the club in the 81st minute.

But Nuneaton reduced the arrears again at 3-2 in injury time when substitute Lee MOORE headed home Armson’s left-wing cross.

Halesowen Town: Bussey; Cowley, Hood, Turner, Daly, Denny, Palmer, Rickards, S. Moore, McDermott (Blenkinsopp 76), Edwards (Griffiths 76). Unused Subs: Eze, Clarke, Thorpe.

Nuneaton Town: Acton; Oddy, Forsdick, Noon, Dean, Pierpoint, Armson, Storer (Jacobs 81), Dillon, Foster (L. Moore 72), Hadland (Nisevic 79). Unused Subs: Spacey, Gaunt.

Referee: N. Hobbis (Birmingham)

Attendance: 350

Booked: Storer (26), Armson (55), Cowley (66), Blenkinsopp (89)

Joomla Templates by Joomlashack